return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Speech Therapy - anyone ever had this?
View this Thread in Original format
DjSimonB
OK so here's the deal, today was the day we were filling out our uni applications and so on at school, and I noticed that on a couple of the references that teachers had given me, they'd ticked a below average mark for 'oral communication' plus I know that I'm not the clearest of speakers sometimes, so I thought that maybe going to Speech Therapy would help me with that. I'm not in desperate need, it's not like I've got some huge stutter or can't talk properly, but I'm thinking that if it might help my presentation skills, confidence even, then it might be worth trying.

It's a long shot, but does anyone else have experience with this kind of thing?
hoppy
the easiest way to build confidence is by doing stupid things because you just stop caring and arent bothered about making a fool out of yourself i havent ever tried speech therapy or anythin though
TweeK
quote:
Originally posted by hoppy
the easiest way to build confidence is by doing stupid things because you just stop caring

So true,I suggest you go to walmart or something with a couple of your buddies and around in there toy section.
displaced
don't try so hard... it gets most people all worked up and choked up...

best presentations are made when you are yourself (and you know what you're talking about)
Orbital32
i remember when i was in high school i signed up for an easy class. You know something easy that counts as english, but you really don't have to do anything.... Speech Communication. If i had to say there was a class that helped me the most, it was that class. I lost my fear of public speaking and now i'm more confident. I'm able to present myself very well...so well as a matter of fact that every single job interview that i had i alwasy been hired. even when i was against 70 people. I owe that class alot. I would still be shy as hell if my teacher didn't force us to go in front of the class every single day and talk about something stupid.
Darky
quote:
Originally posted by DjSimonB
OK so here's the deal, today was the day we were filling out our uni applications and so on at school, and I noticed that on a couple of the references that teachers had given me, they'd ticked a below average mark for 'oral communication' plus I know that I'm not the clearest of speakers sometimes, so I thought that maybe going to Speech Therapy would help me with that. I'm not in desperate need, it's not like I've got some huge stutter or can't talk properly, but I'm thinking that if it might help my presentation skills, confidence even, then it might be worth trying.

It's a long shot, but does anyone else have experience with this kind of thing?

JUST BE YOURSELF JUST START TALKING AND WHEN YOU PRESENT IT GETS EASIER BECAUSE YOU DON'T GET NERVOUS AFTERWARDS I MEAN WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL? EVEN THOUGH I HATE PRESENTATIONS STILL IT GETS EASIER WHEN YOU STOP CARING ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK AS SOME PEOPLE SAY
Audigy7

capslock = evil

Oh yah, like those guys said, a speach class will do wonders for your speaking skills.
DjTiberius
I don't know if it is a speech class he needs. It sounds like he speaks unclearly which is complety different from being shy and afraid of public speaking.

To answer your quesiton, yes I have had speech thearapy. As a baby, I was born with an ear infection that created copios amounts of ear wax. I was not diagnosed with this condition till I was about three and was taking a hearing test which I failed miserably. The problem is that beween being born and the hearing test I had learned most of english allready. As most people know a child learns a language by listening to the language being spoken around them and then associeating the sound with an action or item. However, due to my ear wax problem, every sound I head was exrtemly distorted. Because of that, I spoke like a retard till I was done with my peech therapy. I slowly auto corrected myself, but when I started schooling in pre school, I was also enrolled in speech class which I continued till about 4th grade. I eventually finished it becasue I was able to speak normally, but untill then no one but my family was able to understand me.

I have no idea how bad you sound when you talk, but my guess is not that bad if it has not been brought up untill now. I would suggest you take speech thearepy if you start to feel self concious when you speak like I still sometimes do. Otherwise, I would bet that you conciously working on speaking more clearly would probally be fine.
Darky
quote:
Originally posted by DjTiberius
I don't know if it is a speech class he needs. It sounds like he speaks unclearly which is complety different from being shy and afraid of public speaking.

To answer your quesiton, yes I have had speech thearapy. As a baby, I was born with an ear infection that created copios amounts of ear wax. I was not diagnosed with this condition till I was about three and was taking a hearing test which I failed miserably. The problem is that beween being born and the hearing test I had learned most of english allready. As most people know a child learns a language by listening to the language being spoken around them and then associeating the sound with an action or item. However, due to my ear wax problem, every sound I head was exrtemly distorted. Because of that, I spoke like a retard till I was done with my peech therapy. I slowly auto corrected myself, but when I started schooling in pre school, I was also enrolled in speech class which I continued till about 4th grade. I eventually finished it becasue I was able to speak normally, but untill then no one but my family was able to understand me.

I have no idea how bad you sound when you talk, but my guess is not that bad if it has not been brought up untill now. I would suggest you take speech thearepy if you start to feel self concious when you speak like I still sometimes do. Otherwise, I would bet that you conciously working on speaking more clearly would probally be fine.

THAT'S VERY TRUE BUT THE THING IS SHYNESS AND BEING NERVOUS CAN CAUSE YOU TO STUTTER OR SPEAK BADLY BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO SCARD TO SAY ANYTHING AND YOU DON'T NOTICE WHEN YOU SAY THINGS WRONG
BUT ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID YEAH IT CAN ALSO HELP:)
Vivid Boy
i had it from kindergarten all the way to grade 4. i got into an accident when i was a child and i knocked all my front teeth. so i had to relearn to pronounce words correctly because i didnt have any teeth to stop my tongue when i talked. so when they grew back in my tongue was doing what it would do to speak if i had no teeth. its wierd but oh well. i got into alot of accidentys in my life

Darky
quote:
Originally posted by Vivid Boy
i had it from kindergarten all the way to grade 4. i got into an accident when i was a child and i knocked all my front teeth. so i had to relearn to pronounce words correctly because i didnt have any teeth to stop my teeth when i talked. so when they grew back in my tongue was doing what it would do to speak if i had no teeth. its wierd but oh well. i got into alot of accidentys in my life

WOW THATS PRETTY ED UP:\
Philby
i had speech therapy in early primary school but i can't exactly remember why... but if you think it will help then go for it :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement