return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Sound problems recording live sets.
View this Thread in Original format
toolman667
Recently I have tried to record my live mixes, and I've got the mixer's output on the line in of my computer, and I use Cool Edit Pro to do the recording. When I record it, I dont know what dB to record at. The input levels seem to be at like -3dB, not going into the red at all, but when I record and play it back, the sound is very flat.

It sounds just great using my soundcard as a passthru to my receiver, it doesnt sound flat at all. So just listening to it sounds great, but when i try to record, its flat. Is there something im mising here?
Luke Cartwright
I don't know what soundcard yr using and do not use cool edit myself but try raising/lowering your levels and then record, do this over and over again until it sounds right.

I know this is a bit of a painful method but once you have the levels set you will have a good idea of where they need to be if you need to do this again.

Soundcards and computers vary alot and some are bastards to get right but if you keep trying you will get it right in the end.
tu_face
just press f10 before recording. this will start up the dB level indicator (with or without a file to record in). press play on your turntable and put the channel fader up and monitor the input level. open windows sound properties (from either your system tray or in control panel>sound and audio device>audio then click on volume under the sound recording section), go to the line-in input and move the slider up until it is just before 0dB (make sure you leave it running a while so that any loud crasges or anything in a tune won't make it max out).

that will now set it to record at the highest possible volume without any clipping. if it turns out quiet, just increase the amplitude a bit in cool edit.

it should play back exactly as it sounded when you played it..
toolman667
Ok here is the problem. I have an A/V receiver made by onkyo SR502. Its a very nice receiver, and it has 2 outputs for audio. One being labled "TAPE" and another "Video 1". I originaly had the input from the mixer, plugged into the CD input of the receiver, and from the TAPE OUT to the input of my audigy 2zs. Tryed recording (original problem) no dice. Very flat sounding, and muffled. Took another look at the outputs of my receiver and tried the "Video 1 Out". Sure nuff, the recording was less muffled, and definetly more crisp, so i think I figured that out.

One more question tho, if I set my gains correctly on the mixer, what should I have my input level on "Line-In" on the soundcard for playback, and what should the level be on the "Analog Mix" for recording?
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by toolman667
Ok here is the problem. I have an A/V receiver made by onkyo SR502. Its a very nice receiver, and it has 2 outputs for audio. One being labled "TAPE" and another "Video 1". I originaly had the input from the mixer, plugged into the CD input of the receiver, and from the TAPE OUT to the input of my audigy 2zs. Tryed recording (original problem) no dice. Very flat sounding, and muffled. Took another look at the outputs of my receiver and tried the "Video 1 Out". Sure nuff, the recording was less muffled, and definetly more crisp, so i think I figured that out.

One more question tho, if I set my gains correctly on the mixer, what should I have my input level on "Line-In" on the soundcard for playback, and what should the level be on the "Analog Mix" for recording?

ah i was assuming you were just wiring your mixer's 2nd output direct to the computer.

as i mentioned previously, you can always alter the master amplitude once you have finished the mix using cool edit pro's amplitude tools, but its reccomended that you record as close to 0dB as possible. i always leave it a bit under, because a lot of the time my sets get a tad louder towards the end. so if i had it at 0dB at the start, the chances are it will clip a bit by the end.

:)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement