return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Tom Clancy/Ryanverse Topic [Attention: Stren!]
View this Thread in Original format
6iki_Snake
Okay i made this topic for Stren, see the other book topic about why i created this.
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...12&pagenumber=3

Anyway, im a huge Clancy fan and ive read and own almost all of his books. Sten asked me about the books and recommendations, so i made a list.

ill give a short thing about every book in the Ryanverse ( Jack Ryan novels ) he has ever written. I will list them in the order they were published.

The Hunt for Red October
Alot like the movie, the movie Ryan was a very well chosen actor ( Alec Baldwin ) and actually by many fans the 'real' Jack Ryan. The book is still much more detailed ofcourse.

Patriot Games
Also very true to the books. Only the books are more detailed.

The Cardinal of the Kremlin
This is about the Soviets and the Americans in the cold war period, both building a anti-IBM ( Inter Ballistic Missile ) laser system. The main plot is about a CIA source in the Kremlin, who is VERY high up and in danger of getting caught.

Clear and Present Danger
Follows the book quite good. Same as patriot games.

The Sum of All Fears
The book is ALOT different and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better, the movie frankly sucked. I still like the movie, but compared to the book its soo different. Jack Ryan is DDCI ( Deputy Director Central Intelligence ) in this novel instead of CIA newby and the terrorists arent neo-nazi's. A classic!

Without Remorse
This is about Jack Ryan's father ( an FBI Agent ) who is after John Kelly ( later changes his name into John Clark ). This book is one of the best in the series. Altough Ryan is still a kid here, Clark is one of my other favorite characters. Another classic.

Debt of Honor
This book is a tough one to get thru. Only read it if you are a real Clancy fan and wanna know about the characters. The ending is however very important for Jack Ryan. The book itself is quite a bitch to read thru because of alot indepth talk of the trading market and economy on itself.

Executive Orders
Another classic, this goes on about Jack Ryan, now 'President of the Unites States'

Rainbow Six
Has nothing to do with the storyline in the game. This book is probly one of my favorites. Jack has no actual story in it, this is all about John Clark and Ding Chavez. The story is quite good, its a book wich stands on itself. You dont really have to know the characters to get involved with them. This was my first Clancy book and it turned me into a fan.

The Bear and the Dragon
Currently busy with this one, so far its 'okay'. Clancy fails here to put on a good show. The story is kinda weak and the Chinese arent portraited fairly well. It's about the Russians building up their country, now allies with the US. They discover a resource area in Siberia full of goldmines and oil. The Chinese are on the brink of economic downfall and learn of the 'resource area' up north. The Rainbow team also plays a small role in here.

The Red Rabbit
Good book, it goes way back into time, back to the cold war. Jack Ryan is quite new to the CIA and is now stationed in the UK. He has to interrogate a russian defector and learns of a plan to assasinate the pope ( yes there are reasons for this ). Its a old fashioned cold war CIA book from Clancy, and they are my among my favorites, very good book. A nice change from the other books.

The Teeth of the Tiger
Havent read it yet.

Plz comment, suggest, share ideas about Clancy and the Jack Ryan books.
tribu
I prefer Steven King's modes of suspense better, but it would be unfair to say that Clancy is not a master of suspense in his own right. He over uses alot of plot devices, but still has excellent command of language and is better than average at guiding the reader to a state which he predicts. Ive read the following Clancy books:

The Hunt for Red October

Patriot Games

Clear and Present Danger

The Sum of All Fears

Executive Orders

The Bear and the Dragon

The Red Rabbit
stren
Thank you for this thread, i think i will start with "Rainbow six" then, like you did. Thanx for PM-ing me...it was frightening when the window suddenly opened in my face (was confused there 4 a moment lol)
QuickStep
I'm a huge Clancy fan too but have not liked to many movies done from the books. I guess it's really hard for a screen writer to put to gether 1000 pages of character, life story, emaotion, and details into a 2 hour movie.

Out of all the movies, I would have to say that I like Patriot Games. Even the ending was "close" to the book.

My favorite chapter is Sum of all Fears, chapter 42. Since Clancy describes in deatil, the action that a nuclear bomb goes through from ignition to explosion. Just too freakin amazing the detail he put into that chapter. I can just read that chapter over and over again.

My favorite book is Red Storm Rising. Probably the greatest told story of (back then) modern warfare. Clancy brought the stealth bombers and cruise missles into a war, when we were just hearing about creation of such weapons. If you want to get excited about Clancy, read Red Storm Rising.

Clancy does a good job of bring Jack Ryan through a lifetime, and the developement is perfect.

Teeth of the Tiger is a bore, and I thoguht he tried to hard to get this story out. Teeth of the Tiger is about Jack's son, Jack Jr. He finds out about a "blacker then black" agency which deals with national issue itself without government. Anyways, if he writes another, then I hope he spruces up the story abit.

Clancy's known to drag out a story and bring it to a gigantic climax at the end. It's good for some readers but most cannot stand the lang explanation and character development, then ending in a grand scene of war.

I guess I like Clancy
Eis
I used to like Clancy until I tried to read Politica, and then I realized that his books are crap. His books are super-militaristic and most of all the characters (or should I say character?) are hollow and booring. There are better war novels available...
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement