return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
So I completely F*$#$ed my friends comp
View this Thread in Original format
Pettiscool
I was upgrading from ME to XP Pro ....booted once fine..then after completly ed up....scandisk on boot said pretty much every folder was unreadable and now it wont boot..... I've changed boot sequence to floppy and to cd but can get it to boot whatsoever?!!? what can i do to fix it? Thanks people
Clovis86
http://www.illwillpress.com/tech.html
JM
^^^^^:stongue: :stongue: :stongue: :stongue: :stongue: :stongue:

>JM<
joshyd
dont worry man, i ed our comp last week. tried to put a sdram thing into a ddr slot. ed up the motherboard and HD. ah well happens
mezzir
hah i was on my friend's computer earlier this year, and i was checking out the display stuff (screen saver, desktop, and resolution), and i was looking at the resolution, and noticed it went ridiculously high
my computer at the time (on a laptop now) only went to 1600x1200, but his highest setting was like 3800xsomething, you do the math
anyways, i set it to that setting, hit apply, and the screen went blank for a second, but then instead of going to the uber-cool everything uber-small mode i was expecting, a big message in red popped up (coming from the monitor, not windows), saying it couldn't handle that kinda resolution
and he was like eh just restart it, should default back to 1024x768 like he usually has it
not so
we couldn't fully boot up the computer period
it was another month or so before the computer was back and working properly
i feel bad, but it was ing hilarious at the time
DragonsEmerald
If your friend has the CD's that came with the computer, then reinstall Windows ME WITHOUT formatting the hard drive. Do a Recover only and it will reinstall Windows and boot fine.

You do not need the Operating System to be running to install it. Just put the CD in right after you turn the computer on and it will load.

And a word of advice, sometimes if you have a USB keyboard it wont work unless Windows is loaded, so you might need to hook an old keyboard up to reinstall Windows.
chavs
quote:
Originally posted by mezzir
hah i was on my friend's computer earlier this year, and i was checking out the display stuff (screen saver, desktop, and resolution), and i was looking at the resolution, and noticed it went ridiculously high
my computer at the time (on a laptop now) only went to 1600x1200, but his highest setting was like 3800xsomething, you do the math
anyways, i set it to that setting, hit apply, and the screen went blank for a second, but then instead of going to the uber-cool everything uber-small mode i was expecting, a big message in red popped up (coming from the monitor, not windows), saying it couldn't handle that kinda resolution
and he was like eh just restart it, should default back to 1024x768 like he usually has it
not so
we couldn't fully boot up the computer period
it was another month or so before the computer was back and working properly
i feel bad, but it was ing hilarious at the time

It's worse if this happens when you are at a CUSTOMER place and you only went here to install him Nero. Then you see something weird in the display, change the resolution and BAM! Windows is ed.

I lost all the day trying to repair this, I have to reinstall Windows and I got home too late. Besides, the customer were upset to me, so he won't pay.

That's way worse.
6iki_Snake
quote:
Originally posted by chavs
It's worse if this happens when you are at a CUSTOMER place and you only went here to install him Nero. Then you see something weird in the display, change the resolution and BAM! Windows is ed.

I lost all the day trying to repair this, I have to reinstall Windows and I got home too late. Besides, the customer were upset to me, so he won't pay.

That's way worse.

Couldnt you say that his computer was screwed but that the fault reveald itself during the installation of Nero because of... well anyway, your customer probly doesnt know much about PC's since he needs help with installing NERO, so its kinda lame he doesnt wanna pay man. Just make something up, its unfair if he doesnt pay.
Spacey Orange
quote:
Originally posted by chavs

That's way worse.

i just lost a minute reading this:D
chavs
quote:
Originally posted by 6iki_Snake
Couldnt you say that his computer was screwed but that the fault reveald itself during the installation of Nero because of... well anyway, your customer probly doesnt know much about PC's since he needs help with installing NERO, so its kinda lame he doesnt wanna pay man. Just make something up, its unfair if he doesnt pay.

He is a friend of my boss, so he won't pay. At least my boss didn't told me anything about I ed it up or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Spacey Orange
i just lost a minute reading this:D

It could be worse :D

T-1000
:haha:
Pettiscool
quote:
Originally posted by DragonsEmerald
If your friend has the CD's that came with the computer, then reinstall Windows ME WITHOUT formatting the hard drive. Do a Recover only and it will reinstall Windows and boot fine.

You do not need the Operating System to be running to install it. Just put the CD in right after you turn the computer on and it will load.

Yea, but it wont boot from cd's ! or from floppy, i dont even have that hit f11 to do system restore (its an ibm vista) all i get is a screen that has the comps mac address and then it changes to a pic of a floppy disk getting inserted and says hit f1 to restart, but nothing works the two pics just go back and forth.....its like a joke.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement