return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Harmonic mixing: requirement for serious DJs!?
View this Thread in Original format
*InVeRs3*
Is it a requirement for serious DJs to learn harmonic mxing? :conf:
trancinchink
err.... yes!!

or you could just do what i do... and go by ear.
djxtension
Yes.
FirstBorn
I wouldn't say its an essential requirement as you generally can get away with key clashes as long as you don't mix basslines.

Having said that, I think 'big name' DJ's who don't keymix are just plain lazy (particularly when it comes to commercial mix CD's where there's absolutely no excuse not to do it) and it really gets on my nerves where I hear key clashes on the dancefloor.

I try and keymix wherever possible when I play out although that's down to the fact that I was a musician long before I learned to DJ.

:D
DannyO
There are no rules to DJing, so you don't have to do it, but its HIGHLY recommended, I've never really looked into learning what keys my records are, after years of DJin, you kinda build an ear for it and you just know what will go with what, 95% of the time it turns out great, but you do get it sometimes where you just end up picking the wrong track, learn your records and get a feel for them, and you will know which ones sound the same or which ones will complement each other, although if you learn how to really use your EQs, you can mix very different tracks and have them really work well together.
tu_face
it depends what you play. i couldn't give a rats ass about harmonic mixing, but then again i play prodominently techno, so there isn't often such thing as a key :p when i do play something that is melodic, i usually make sure it doesn't clash before i bother beatmatching it, but i don't bother to think about picking a certain track because of what key it is in.

i can see how it is great for trance/prog/house dj's though, musical progression is a good thing and makes a set flow nicely.
Max Thomson
trance/highly melodic = yes
everything else (most house, prog, techno) = no

why? melodic stuff comes in a lot earlier in most trance songs than it does anywhere else. thats why its (pretty much) a requirement for a smooth transition.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement