return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

How do you record mixes using computer and external mixer?
View this Thread in Original format
Hyoctane
How would you record a mix using an external mixer?

I use DSS Dj. If you record while using the software's mixing capabilities it's just like normal, but if you use the external mixer setting, there's no way for the computer to discern what is coming out of the master. The software is essentially, just being used for beatmatching.

The mixer has RCA outs obviously. The only way that I can think of doing it would be do get an RCA to RCA splitter and one set to the speaker and the other set to an RCA to mini jack converter and run that to my mic in on my laptop, recording with Windows sound capture. Would that degrade the quality?

Craig
DannyO
quote:
Originally posted by Hyoctane
How would you record a mix using an external mixer?

I use DSS Dj. If you record while using the software's mixing capabilities it's just like normal, but if you use the external mixer setting, there's no way for the computer to discern what is coming out of the master. The software is essentially, just being used for beatmatching.

The mixer has RCA outs obviously. The only way that I can think of doing it would be do get an RCA to RCA splitter and one set to the speaker and the other set to an RCA to mini jack converter and run that to my mic in on my laptop, recording with Windows sound capture. Would that degrade the quality?

Craig

Going into a mic input will degrade the SQ, and also will only capture in mono, if you have a desktop use that, and run a RCA-minijack from the record/tape out of the mixer to the line in of your desktop, or you could goto your mic, but its not recommended, the record out on most mixers are loud enough to really damage the input, try and get an external soundcard if you only have a mixer, thats what I'm trying to do, or use something like a minidisc recorder or mp3 recorder from Iriver, thats also what I'm going, not sure if my advice is completely accurate as I've never done that kind of setup before, but be very carefull with the mic input if you use it, and make sure the +20db boost is off, and the settings for it are minimum, same with your mixer, start everything off at the lowest setting and go up from there.
Hyoctane
Yeah, I meant line in, not mic... lol

I just got an Iriver mp3 player, was thinking about using that as well.

Thanx for the info, it was definately helpful :)

Craig
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement