return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Mistake in DEMO DISC?
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Dinz
Guys...

Is it allright to have some mistake in a demo disc..???

for example a 3 secs of misbeat (not to much a little) and a problem on EQing?

Cheers!
Zild
If I hear a demo and its a nice mix with a little slip here or there I still think its a nice demo.

If I hear a demo with major mistakes or missed beats during half the transitions I throw it in the trash.
DJ Dinz
IC...

Thanks you give me a very good answer :D :)

Anymore guys?

Or do u ever send a demo with a little misbeat/EQing?

CHEERS! PEACE!
djxtension
As long as the errors are not too noticable and are corrected quickly, there's nothing to worry about.

But if there is an error in every transition, and they are corrected wrongly or too slow, there's not a very big chance of your demo getting a lot of attention.

A few minors errors are allowed, but don't up too much or too often.
Nemesis44
On the correction side of things:
As the above have said it's no big deal. Most club owners and promoters are not looking for mistakes but the actual vibe that you are creating and how well it works with their own idea of how their club should be.

As for EQing...
Yes, I would say it matters. Appart from knowing how your tracks work together I would say it's the biggest clue to what you are actually like as a DJ. If you can't get this right then get back to work and iron out those kinks. If you can hear it on a demo you know it will be ten times worse in the club with new mixers, soundsystems etc.

However when you are going for the bigger clubs you can forget a demo getting you that magic break because it all comes down to connections and has nothing to do with that little silver disc.

Cheers
Nem
djxtension
quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis44
However when you are going for the bigger clubs you can forget a demo getting you that magic break because it all comes down to connections and has nothing to do with that little silver disc.

Cheers
Nem

Sad, but true.
FirstBorn
I have given out demos with minor mistakes in them and have always regretted it later. I think it's worth spending whatever time, energy and effort is necessary to make your demo perfect.

A couple of things to think about:

1) In many ways, a demo CD is like a CV for a job application. I'm sure you wouldn't dream of sending out a CV for an important job if it had 'a few' spelling mistakes or formatting errors. Treat your demo CD in exactly the same way. I don't expect to get a job if my CV contains mistakes and likewise I don't expect to get a DJ gig if my demo has errors. Harsh but true.

2) You (and sometimes me as well) might not take the time to make sure your demo is perfect but there are thousands of others out there who will. Your demo will simply not stack up against the competition. Sorry - also harsh but true.

That said, I've sent out discs with slight mistakes in them and I've still got gigs as a result. The bottom line is, however, that there are thousands of people sending out demo CD's to anyone who'll listen these days and if you want to get the best gigs, you'll give yourself the best possible chance if your demo is as close to perfect as you can make it.

Just my 2p worth, mind. :D
tu_face
it depends on the types of mistakes, the situation surrounding the mistake and most importantly how you deal with them. 3 seconds of slipped beats is too long IMO, you should have that sorted within a second :)

so long as a mistake is not a schoolboy error, and it doesn't happen a lot, you should be fine. obviously, if you can put together a mix without ANY slip ups, that will be better.
Derivative
quote:
I have given out demos with minor mistakes in them and have always regretted it later. I think it's worth spending whatever time, energy and effort is necessary to make your demo perfect.

i have to say, this is a really good frame of mind to have. the analogy with the CV is good. i think i agree - the important thing is the expectations and standards you hold for yourself. and if you dont make compromises, if you expect nothing more than perfection from yourself and you keep working at trying to achieve it, you'll go far. with time, practice, patients and lot of kissing arse of course.

i wouldnt exactly say that redoing a demo over and over and over and over again is a waste of time either. you are getting more familiar with the nuances of the songs you play and you are getting practice out of it.

also sometimes you can just tell that someone has put alot of effort into something cuz it really shows in the finished product.
Lephaid
quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis44

Very true...I had demos out for years and never got played much...got into the local scene here, met some of the promoters, and now I'm spinning at a club and they've never even heard one of my CD's or me live.

Mr. Tippy
quote:
got into the local scene here, met some of the promoters, and now I'm spinning at a club and they've never even heard one of my CD's

+1

But every promoter that has had me spin at an event has heard me play somewhere, be it my place or at a club, etc.

quote:

Absolutely true. How many DJ's have you seen that were not quite up to par? - It's not what you know, it's who you know.
Tony Morello
quote:
Originally posted by FirstBorn
2) You (and sometimes me as well) might not take the time to make sure your demo is perfect but there are thousands of others out there who will. Your demo will simply not stack up against the competition. Sorry - also harsh but true.

i totally agree
there are literally thousands of djs out there that will take that extra effort and make sure their cd is perfect before even thinking about giving it out (myself included)

you want to offer the promoter something every other bedroom dj can't

personally, i'm going to book the dj that has superb beatmatching skills and knows how a set should flow over a bedroom dj who gives me a cd with shoddy mixing

all i'm saying is, relax, practice and give it time
when you're ready you'll know you're ready
djing isn't something that happens overnight
this is something you devote years of your life to

once you can make it through a set without too many noticable errors you'll be ready to start cutting your teeth playing those "paying your dues" gigs

feedback also works wonders as well, post your mix for download for others to listen and critique

hope this helps
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement