return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

For the workout nerds, help me out real quick
View this Thread in Original format
nrjizer
I'm writing a paper on fitness, and I'm trying to get my facts straight on muscle building. I need to know exactly what happens when you lift weights (or whatever) that builds the muscle. Google search just keeps turing up stupid results.

To the best of my understanding, the resistance damages the muscle a bit, which then starts to rebuild itself as well as building new muscle... but I can't remember the details (and I'm probably wrong anyways). I know one of you knows, so help me out :D
Shook1
read up on proteins and amino acids ......for starters
nrjizer
I don't need that much detail, it's just a quick paper. I know that the resistance tears the muscle, and the body then repairs that damage with new, fresh muscle, but I don't know what then causes the muscle to grow larger.
FunkyJunkie
think about it

muscles are sort of like a ball of string tied together with knots

when you lift weights, its like stretching and compressing the ball, eventually strings are going to snap, this is what happens to muscle when you expand and contract them repeditively with strain on them

ok now think of what happens when you cut yourself, it heals, but makes the skin in that part of your body stronger and thicker

this is exactly what happens with muscle when you feel the pain after going to the gym, you've basically damaged your muscle and lactic acid is spilling out of them like a hungover morning piss, this is where your bodys regenerative properties come in, when the muscle regenerates (repairs itself) but also makes itself stronger/more resistant so it can prepare for some punishment again, hencefourth when the fibers grow back, they grow more fibers in the muscle, hencefourth the muscle stretches and gets bigger, also the veins in your arms get bigger to therefore get fed more blood/oxygen

your bodys ability to adapt is also why you have to increase weight everytime, and change your exercise patterns every 8 weeks, your body starts adapting to what you're doing to it, so you keep going against it, once its adapted, it'd be ready for it again, unless you stopped working out for 8 months

so if you go in the same exercise pattern for 8 weeks, its not gonna do anything cause your bodys muscle wont snap, its too used to what your doing too it

need anymore info? add me to your MSN, hyde_18_@hotmail.com
igottaknow
FunkyJunkie
quote:
Originally posted by igottaknow

::TranceVanDyk::
hmm, muscle gets stretched and stressed. this motion causes waste to build up* (lactic acid)-->(did u know that when an alligator attacks an animal, it builds up enough lactic acid to kill 6 full grown human males.) *u rest a bit, get sore, lactic acid gradually dessipated through your bloodstream, your muscles regenerate, and overheal themselves, which is why u get bigger. testastarone is key to this process.
FunkyJunkie
quote:
Originally posted by ::TranceVanDyk::
hmm, muscle gets stretched and stressed. this motion causes waste to build up* (lactic acid)-->(did u know that when an alligator attacks an animal, it builds up enough lactic acid to kill 6 full grown human males.) *u rest a bit, get sore, lactic acid gradually dessipated through your bloodstream, your muscles regenerate, and overheal themselves, which is why u get bigger. testastarone is key to this process.

hencefourth why bodybuilders use steroids :)
MERLIN
look in a biology book. it'll tell you how the muscle works. which will also tell you how you build muscle. but it's pretty much like what the other dude said above.
Halcyon+On+On
Now, is there really such thing as a "workout nerd"? One would believe that devotion to one's health and fitness would negate nerdiness, but whatever. :rolleyes: :stongue:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement