return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

FS Users - Is This a RAM issue?
View this Thread in Original format
Basstard
quite often when i try to map a song onto a deck the song on the other deck will "jolt" as the other song loads so to speak. i have 256mb RAM, 2.0 Ghz processor. what ya think is the cause?
auujay
Which version of FS are you using? Is the 2GHz cpu a celeron? Is the "jerking" of the other song just the waveform display or is it the actual song sound?

I used to run TFS 1.1 on my P3 866 with 256 MB and it worked fine (though the wave display may have not alwasy been smooth). My current setup is a 1.8 MHz AthlonXP with a gig of RAM but TFS 1.5 ran fine on it with 512 MBs.

256 is on the lower end of what I would use but their may be something else causing it.
Basstard
i knew i forgot to mention something.

im running version 1.1 of TFS. the jerkin i refer to is the actual song - not the waveform. it happens when i load a song onto the other turntable. it is indeed a celeron processor.
auujay
As you may know, a 2 GHz celeron is not close to a 2 GHz athlon or P4. Since this is version 1.1 you are not running it with windows so there is no "extra" programs that could be messing it up. I guess I would try to upgrade to 512 MB of RAM (anymore is overkill just for FS). Your cpu should be fast enough for 1.1 so I guess it must lie in the RAM.
Basstard
thnx for the help dude :)
DesifromJC
Just get a Powerbook. It eliminates half of the problems FS causes. The other half, makes you wonder why you even bought FS when Scratch Live was available. :mad:
Basstard
1) im not rich

2) i bought FS before Rane even knew how Stanton did what they did.
starlabs
Hmm.. well it could be due to a variety of problems.

1) RAM. You're running a tad tight there on 256MB. I would suggest making sure that any other programs aren't running.

2) CPU usage. A Celeron is a slower cpu than it's regular brethren. Try this: on the taskbar at the bottom, right-click on an empty area (ie that's not a button). A menu should appear, select "Task Manager..." Click on the Performance tab. There, you can see how much of the CPU is being used. If you're already getting 70% cpu usage or higher on just 1 track, then you are pushing the computer quite a bit. :)

For the ram and cpu issue, there's an additional thing you can do, which is kill (stop) any background apps (mostly called "services") that's also running. This is a bit more technical, as some services are vital to Windows, and shutting them down might cause your computer to crash.
Here's an article on services in XP (should mostly apply to Win2000 as well). Stopping any non-necessary services will def help your RAM, and might help with the cpu.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2...,1153282,00.asp

3) Hard disk. There's several things you can do here - first try deframenting the hard drive - esp the partition (ie drive letter) that your music is stored on.
The other thing you can try, is find out if the drive is set to PIO mode or DMA mode. PIO mode is slow as hell, because it uses the cpu everytime you access the drive!! Horrid. You want to set it to DMA, *if possible*
From the same article, differrent section (scroll down):
http://www.extremetech.com/article2...,1153283,00.asp

Actually, you should prob read that entire article :)
It should prove helpful making your system a bit faster.

Oh.. and make sure you've installed Ad-Aware and Spybot! You might have spyware installed, and those can eat up your RAM and CPU usage greatly, not to mention, I consider those things on the same level as viruses.

Good luck.
auujay
Good post however he is running TraktorFS 1.1 which when running on an x86 runs a custom Linux distro (based off of Debian I believe). So there is not much he can do with getting rid of extra services. However the harddrive settings can be an issue but usually it is when the harddrive goes to sleep when it shouldn't (say you always get an audio drop out after having TFS open for 30 min or whatever). Of course you can try defraging the harddrive with your mp3s while in windows, this might help.

I did have a realization though, are your mp3s on an NTFS partition? This caused be all sorts of headaches when I was using 1.1.
starlabs
Ah my bad... didn't realize he was using a Linux-based system. :clown:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement