return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Mixing Question
View this Thread in Original format
djdimensions
Just a week ago i was mixing fine and now i cant mix for . I Used to Have a Stanton Sa-12 and now own a Pioneer DJM-600. Does this have something to do with the mixer change?Anyone ever have this happen to them..?
Dzokayi
Switching equipment can throw you off. The more experience you get, the less pronounced this effect will be. If my Empath has an achilles heel (but really it's not the fault of the mixer), it's that it's too flexible. You can cue in any imaginable way, headphone EQ, adjustable fader & crossfader curves, flexFX, etc. Mixing on an inferior deck is always a bit of a challenge, because I have to limit myself to the available feature set. So occasionally at home I'll force myself to not use split cue, headphone EQ, etc. Just keep practicing on as much equipment as possible, and you'll slide right into it after just a couple of songs.

Cheers...
MR STROKE
i have a staton mixer too...when i use my friends pioneer i suck...just pratice i guess..
thek
yeh its about practice i think. i stopped for about a month due to lack of time and work, and when i tried to give some family a demo over christmas, i completely embarrassed myself! however today ive done an hours worth and im getting back on track
zizack
for me using a new mixer always makes things difficult at first. I had always owned or played on mixers with split cued functions and the first time I played out i got stuck with the Rane Rotary. I was sweating bullits but after awhile I was fine. New mixers always make things more difficult simply because they're unfamiliar and they distract you.
razzi
my first mixer had this great feature while cueing.. you can fade from one source to another (like an xfader). thus, you can adjust the volume of your tunes in the headphones, and using a mixer without this wasnt the easiest at first.. but after a few mixes if youre good at mixing in general, it all works out

razzi

ps- its good to practice mixing without using any of the extra goodies that some mixers have
rafale
My first major was a pleasant one..when I came out from my bedroom (which has a djx700) and played in a club with a djm600.. (never used one prior to that).

The djm600 made my mixing sound so much better and smoother.. and the the big soundsystem helped hide any minor mistakes I made. It was ace!!
djdimensions
i guess i needed to give it some time off and just think about it and now i am fine i guess just need to know my new songs a little more and the djm 600 is an awesome mixer i can see my skills improving really fast..:D
DjArTiN!
ya, i had the same problem a while back when i had a stanton sa-8 mixer. When I switched to another mixer (mainly because i thought the stanton sa-8 was best used for hip-hop) it threw me off a bit, but after a week or so, i got the hang of it. It's mainly practice like most of the people said.
jusware
I recently replaced my piece of junk DJX700 with a DJM600 and it was much much easier to mix on. I was completely blown away. Beatmatching was 100% easier without the exteme noise in the background that I was used to with my DJX700. I must admit, I haven't played with the effects that much though..I spin Dark/Tech/Psy Trance.

3xx3r7
Before you go out to play and if you know the equipment beforehand, especially mixer, read the manual online and look at the general picture layout.

Then imagine mixing on it, what functions and features will ya use.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement