return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Out-of-country (current) address hindering employer's interest?
View this Thread in Original format
ali92
Here's my situation: My CV has my current (Philadelphia, PA, US) address and phone number in it. Is this a reason why I haven't been getting many (if any at all) calls back from prospective employers in Canada? If so, what should I do? Wait until I'm in Canada to start looking for employment? I had that as my original plan, but I heard that you can't get any work visa unless you already have been hired for the position in question.

To anyone who can give me insight & tips as to what to do, thanks very much for your time...
Lephaid
Well, it really depends on what skills/degrees you have if you want to work in Canada. There is probably a ton of competition from other foreigners too.

I would highly advise against going in with a visitor's visa and then trying to get work, though, before you're ed and can't find any and have to crawl back to the US. Best way is to get someone to sponsor you as a permanent resident and head in and work a menial job until someone who needs you hires you.
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by Lephaid
Well, it really depends on what skills/degrees you have if you want to work in Canada. There is probably a ton of competition from other foreigners too.

I would highly advise against going in with a visitor's visa and then trying to get work, though, before you're ed and can't find any and have to crawl back to the US. Best way is to get someone to sponsor you as a permanent resident and head in and work a menial job until someone who needs you hires you.

OK. How does this sponsorship work? Who sponsor's who? Etc. Thanks...
Lephaid
You need to be in a relationship with someone who lives in Canada for over a year (either gender), or marry a Canadian, or have a family member in Canada. Any of those people can sponsor you.

You send in a lot of forms and about $600-700 to Canadian immigration, then they decide if it's okay for you to come to Canada or not after 3-6 months.

If you have any of the above, you can probably get into Canada, you just need to consult someone about it to help you with any forms, etc...

There's more information at http://www.cic.gc.ca/
ali92
quote:
Originally posted by Lephaid
You need to be in a relationship with someone who lives in Canada for over a year (either gender), or marry a Canadian, or have a family member in Canada. Any of those people can sponsor you.

You send in a lot of forms and about $600-700 to Canadian immigration, then they decide if it's okay for you to come to Canada or not after 3-6 months.

If you have any of the above, you can probably get into Canada, you just need to consult someone about it to help you with any forms, etc...

There's more information at http://www.cic.gc.ca/

I've heard that the province of Quebec handles their own immigration matters through their own system. In what way(s) does Quebec's system differ from the Canadian national immigration system?
Lephaid
You can read about that at: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv...._immigrate.html

It's pretty similar to the rest of Canada, though.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement