return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

recording vinyl
View this Thread in Original format
quineska
I've bought several records which I listen to (sound quality's better). I want to record these digitally, preserving as much of the sound quality as I can (I want to use it so I don't wear out my records). What can you recommend in terms of:

1) Turntable
2) sound card

that won't break the bank.
DJ Joshua H
if you just using the tt for playing and not spinning than just get a cheap direct drive tt.

If you want good sound quality you should invest in a top notch pair of needles and a good soundcard.

For the needles look at ortofon or shure and for the soundcard look at m-audio.
J:\Digital
quote:
Originally posted by quineska
1) Turntable
2) sound card

Any deck that will hold Pitch.
any sound card that has a wide frequency range. 20hz to 20Khz usually. (something that has Line in) so you can record in Stereo. Most PC have something of this sort, (laptops not so much).
quineska
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Joshua H
if you just using the tt for playing and not spinning than just get a cheap direct drive tt.

If you want good sound quality you should invest in a top notch pair of needles and a good soundcard.

For the needles look at ortofon or shure and for the soundcard look at m-audio.

Thanks for that...do you know if these sound cards support 96khz/24bit recording?
DJ_Hailstone
If you only need to record vinyls digitally, you can buy any turntable, but you need quality cartdridge and stylus.
I recommend you Shure Whitelabel or Ortofon.
Are you a DJ btw? Because if you are, it would be better for you if you will buy a good quality turntable, usable for spinninī too.

For soundcard, I think good choice is Sound Blaster, if you need the stereo Line-In (2xRCA), buy the Platinum version.
Mwd
i have a brand new rolls phono pre amp for sale....for use with connecting your turntable to your computer
quineska
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Hailstone
If you only need to record vinyls digitally, you can buy any turntable, but you need quality cartdridge and stylus.
I recommend you Shure Whitelabel or Ortofon.

All I have at the moment is an old Hitachi, but it sounds alright with it's old accompanying amp (I definitely need a pre-amp for the computer, but I'm worried about distorting the signal). I'll see about getting a better stylus for it.

quote:
Are you a DJ btw? Because if you are, it would be better for you if you will buy a good quality turntable, usable for spinninī too.

I'm not interested in DJ'ing, but I would like to get a decent turntable.

quote:
For soundcard, I think good choice is Sound Blaster, if you need the stereo Line-In (2xRCA), buy the Platinum version.

I already have an SBLive5.1, but I'm not too happy with the results. I was looking for something with 24bit/96khz input, so that I could preserve most of the record's sound without wearing them out through overuse.

I've found so far:

MAudio Revoultion 7.1
Terratec dmzx 6fire (beyond my price range).

Anyone's thought's on these?
tranceDJ
I'd say for the turntable go for something like a stanton st-80. It's a DJ turntable but it'll be good for recording and in the case you ever want to get into DJ'ing then you'll already have 1 turntable for it.
DJ Joshua H
quote:
Originally posted by quineska
Thanks for that...do you know if these sound cards support 96khz/24bit recording?

I have the m-audio delta 66 and it does. i'm not sure about others. To find out more about soundcards, do a search on these forums because this topic has been discussed often. Also search the web and you'll find plenty of info about any soundcard you want.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement