return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Australia

Pages: [1] 2 
Prog in 2005
View this Thread in Original format
gumble
Im starting to find that a lot of progressive stuff getting released lately is lacking the substance that prog once had.

I guess it might be due to the ozgur can / matthew dekay / chable sound - and altho they have made some amazing stuff, its becoming a bit boring, and with heaps of people following on - well its getting done to death.

trance got to be boring to me after a while, as it all started sounding the same. prog is getting that way as well, with melodies becoming less interesting and bulked up using delays and so forth, which doesnt really make it that substantial.

dont get me wrong tho, prog is awesome, its a genre i will continue to support, its just taking a back seat for me atm.

even some of the stuff coming off silver planet (perhaps my fav label) is getting a bit mediocre.

it seems that its all loosing its chunky appeal that prog used to have.

but there is enough to keep me interested, guys like fortier and diggers are playing awesome - its more the melodic "trouse" bland kinda prog thats annoying.

oh and then theres electro prog. yer its cool, and its fun - but i think it could get tiring soon....

thats just my thoughts at the present time, im sure theyll change after seeing a few guys play in the coming months :)
djway
Come to tech-house, Kompakt style ;)

--djway
escee
quote:
Originally posted by gumble
oh and then theres electro prog. yer its cool, and its fun - but i think it could get tiring soon....

Oops it already is, and has been for a while for me. Glitchy electro prog is the new tech trance.
djway
quote:
Originally posted by escee
Oops it already is, and has been for a while for me. Glitchy electro prog is the new tech trance.

Kompakt as a label has been putting out releases well before techtrance was even thought of.

Glitch/Dishwasher music/Sandpaper on the walls, has been around, and will be around.

--djway
jåcë
I agree with you gumble. There is so much recycled prog these days its not even funny. Its becoming really difficult to find and sort thru the good stuff at the record shop these days :(

its just gotta have bongos..
escee
quote:
Originally posted by djway
Kompakt as a label has been putting out releases well before techtrance was even thought of.

Glitch/Dishwasher music/Sandpaper on the walls, has been around, and will be around.

--djway

Im not saying it wont, and im not saying it was an invention that spawned out of tech trance?

Im saying that the elctro prog popularity increase in late 2004 into 2005 is akin to the harder "tech trance" popularity increase in 2004. I dont like either sub-genre of music.

PS: plz mention your favourite label a few more times in your next post.
PPS: Kompakt!
PPPS: --escee.
Light The Fuse
Prog atm is fukin' awesome.
(ALthough I live in Melbourne and the shops are stocked up with the barra gear)
The dull stuff has almost disappeared from existence.
Yeah i understand what your saying about the deekay/melodic/no kick, or groove stuff getting boring (Although fuk, check his newest track 'Bad' out :eyes: )
Personally i reckon varied sets are the key..bitza trance, electro, house, tribal, acid-house, techno, tech-house, breakz, whatever are the way to go. Think outside the square. Dont just go in and listen to bedrock/silver PLanet/Baroque etc.
Im buyin about 10 prog rekkids a week atm, its sending me broke all over again, but damn its fun.
I had a listen to a new Sasha and Digweed mix comp vinyl thingo today, all the old stuff, then I had a listen to the new stuff, and really, same style, but the newer stuff is better.

Its time for prog to party for a bit, thank christ! 2 years ago it was the dullest form of dance music in the universe.
Its all going oldskool.
DaveBegic
solution - write your own tunes guys.. the way you want it
djway
quote:
Originally posted by Light The Fuse
Yeah i understand what your saying about the deekay/melodic/no kick, or groove stuff getting boring (Although fuk, check his newest track 'Bad' out :eyes: )
Personally i reckon varied sets are the key..bitza trance, electro, house, tribal, acid-house, techno, tech-house, breakz, whatever are the way to go. Think outside the square. Dont just go in and listen to bedrock/silver PLanet/Baroque etc.
Im buyin about 10 prog rekkids a week atm, its sending me broke all over again, but damn its fun.
I had a listen to a new Sasha and Digweed mix comp vinyl thingo today, all the old stuff, then I had a listen to the new stuff, and really, same style, but the newer stuff is better.

Its time for prog to party for a bit, thank christ! 2 years ago it was the dullest form of dance music in the universe.
Its all going oldskool.

Almost exactly how it was said last year by someone else.

escee: BCom's my label of choice. Glitchy electro prog is the new tech trance is what you said. I said Glitch was around before tech trance. Making tech trance the new Glitch, which doesn't work. Get me now. Good.

--djway
Light The Fuse
who was that?

pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by gumble
trance got to be boring to me after a while, as it all started sounding the same. prog is getting that way as well, with melodies becoming less interesting

unlucky ;)
gumble
quote:
Originally posted by Light The Fuse

Its all going oldskool.

yer, i like the varied sets as well, ones that include a lot of tech edged proggy breaks and the like make em more interesting.

i guess the solution is, and what im doing, to listen to a broad range of djs and genres (the ones in my sig are my babies atm :p) and get a good overall perspective....

its just that i think the whole blurring the lines between prog house and prog trance / trance isnt working.... imo.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement