return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Criminal Justice question .. please answer yes or no
View this Thread in Original format
Partibrejker
all right my causin is bothering me with some and he needs to find out the answer for this question. It is simple yes or no answer so please respond .

The question is do you think that the criminal law and criminal justice system in United States is enough good to discourage and deter people from commiting crimes ... it's mostly gonna be nOooo but o well speak your mind
Sunsnail
no.

edit: define what you mean as "enough good"
beats and beeps
Of course its good enough to discourage it.

Its a matter of the amount it discourages. No they arent strong enough to discourage well enough, but canada is even worse, we need much more strictness, and I'm a liberal...I think? Maybe not? Maybe I'm a gay conservative?
tribu
Yes.

I feel that people would, for instance, murder if there was no legal apparatus that would punish them for doing so. Humans are always emotional but only sometimes rational, which is a dangerous combination especially if you're as physically vulnerable of a species as we are. Even though not all criminals are caught and even fewer are prosecuted, knowing there will be negative consequences as a result of certain actions almost certainly deters some murders by forcing us to weigh cost vs. benefit (Many humans don't develop beyond the punnishment/reward stage, often the first classification system humans learn, thus law needs to act on this level to reach the majority of the people).

This may lead you to ask why humans still commit crime. Obviously, there are a large variety of reasons, from chemical inbalances to glamourization of crime and misbehaviour in entertainment. Each case has specific details unique to it's case and most often be uncovered and proven, or at least suggested in court.

In America, I think people's living qituations outside of jail might be worse than life inside jail (or life as they preceive jail to be), commit the crime. However, physical retaliation, maiming and death are other options that we don;t use in this system that might work even more as a detterant. Since the question seems to be, is the current system enough to deter people from crimes, and I say, yes: the fear of punnishment and consequence is enough to deter some people from comitting crimes.
muckluck
quote:
Originally posted by beats and beeps
Of course its good enough to discourage it.

Its a matter of the amount it discourages. No they arent strong enough to discourage well enough, but canada is even worse, we need much more strictness, and I'm a liberal...I think? Maybe not? Maybe I'm a gay conservative?

Wait you're actually gay? LOL!
tribu
quote:
Originally posted by muckluck

awww, BnB, youve made muckluck happy! I think he's going to ask you out...
Sunsnail
Well actually... Since people still commit crimes all the time... the answer to the question would actually be an obvious no! It does stop some people however...
tribu
quote:
Originally posted by Sunsnail
Well actually... Since people still commit crimes all the time... the answer to the question would actually be an obvious no! It does stop some people however...

Right, and the way the question was phrased, the answer would have to be yes. The current system does deter some people.
beats and beeps
quote:
Originally posted by muckluck

I'm only gay for you, sand leaper, cobalt, and Bridget.
Sunsnail
quote:
Originally posted by tribu
Right, and the way the question was phrased, the answer would have to be yes. The current system does deter some people.

I hate to argue with the extra smart people of TA, but I think the way the question was phrased it'd have to be no.... :conf:

"good enough to deter people from commiting crimes"

de·ter- prevent from acting

I guess it depends on the way you translate the question... but I just see "people" as everyone?

ah, i'm tired... ignore me :wtf:

Partibrejker
hehe ... well basicly what he needs since hes going to college for criminal justice and bla bla he needs to ask people around and whats better way then posting something online .. whos gonna walk around the city and ask ... then u would be called crazy ... :D ...
Sunsnail
:wtf:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement