return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Any PHP and MySQL buffs here?
View this Thread in Original format
Vaedyn
Hey, I got a question for you all. Well I have a database project due soon, and well, to tell ya the truth, I am TOTALLY lost :P. I need some help on how to get PHP and MySql to work properly together. I've tried looking online, but keep getting errors. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Vaedyn
LeopoldStotch
do you have to use php ??
php is cool .. which one are you using ?? i use ActivePerl, and it provides me with automatic tutorial to get a database connection and proper working ...

did you download the proper mysql drivers to connect perl with mysql ??

i say if you want to go real easy, then go with java and tomcat to do some jsp pages .. imo i feel more comfortable with that .. then again, i feel more comfortable with database felxibility with java than perl .. i need to work on my perl skillz ..
LeopoldStotch
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
Oh and dont listen to him jsp... evilness never had a clearer name. :p

what is your problem with jsp ? jsp is a very good, especially being that it roots from free source material .. although i do know that php is more reliable with connections and easy object handling, i have some strange connection with java and tomcat .. maybe if i force myself into more perl and c stuff, i will love php more ..

but what gives you jsp problems ... the scriplets ?? the servlets ?? the web.xml file ?? your connections between your server and client ??
igottaknow
i don't understand the intraweb need help right away. :wtf:
LeopoldStotch
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
I just never really liked the syntax of Java all that much, Im just picky, but you probably started out coding Java stuff, while I started out with Perl and then C,C++ and then later PHP... :p

go figure .. i also started with c/c++ .. then it was vb .. then java .. databases is my thing .. structures, connections, the whole mumbo jumbo ...
LeopoldStotch
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
I <3 databases too... as long as I dont have to write long ass queries into my code... :p

oooh .. correlated sub queries with aggregate functions and cartesian joins ... my fav .. i eat that for breakfast, lunch, and dinner .. :wtf:
LeopoldStotch
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
ok i need to study up on sql ... and learn some higher end databases too, but that means going to school...

i know like basic basic stuff, i can barely get indexes to work right (not that i have ever needed them, i havnt written anything that would get that large *thinks about TA's dbs and how long it must take to index them*)

:( sometimes i feel so inadequate.

nah .. you're cool ..
i learned from a friend of mine who is a db administrator that the 3 main things to know for the job for databases are ::
1- functional dependencies, and if you know how to set up a nice table with columns (some may call them attributes)
2- know how to create the relationships (primary, secondary, foreign, super)
3- know how to make join queries ...

and you're set for a good job.
LeopoldStotch
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
what do you recomend as a good site/book to learn this stuff... i know of those things, but i dont know how or when to implement them really... specially stuff like join queries, i dont know what that is even... lol

i know insert, select, update, drop... lol thats all i ever find myself needing to use.

the mysql manual is awesome (from www.mysql.com.. i think ) .. also a whole bunch of database examples from microsoft (ms-sql) and oracle sites provide some good stuff to read ..

i can't really recommend much, because i have the expensive books explaining about the mathematical algorithms of sql queries .. :wtf: .. but i think those o'reilly nutshell series has a book on 'sql', and i trust them to print good material .. their java for j2se is the bible for me .. i practically ripped out most of the binding .. :wtf:
Lira
Yo dawgs,

Where'd learn them scripts? I wanna be scripting in PHP wit SQL but I can't do them tings I want. How did you begin?

Peace.
LeopoldStotch
yo dawg ...
sql is NOT a web-based scripting language ..
sql = structured query language

it is a special language that you send to your database .. sorry to break the news ..

Lira
quote:
Originally posted by LeopoldStotch
yo dawg ...
sql is NOT a web-based scripting language ..
sql = structured query language

it is a special language that you send to your database .. sorry to break the news ..

I was just trying to get into today's mood and got the terms mixed up :p

But the question remains. How did you guys learn PHP and SQL? I've tried the manuals, but it seems like a bunch of disorganised information :(
LeopoldStotch
quote:
Originally posted by Lira
I was just trying to get into today's mood and got the terms mixed up :p

But the question remains. How did you guys learn PHP and SQL? I've tried the manuals, but it seems like a bunch of disorganised information :(

you can start off by getting ActivePerl (that's the one i have, and it contains a whole bunch of catalog information about perl keywords and implementing c with perl) and the mysql manual .. good examples in each of them ..

but i think the best is get some cheap books on amazon and e-bay .. if you want to learn the basics and get yourself going in SQL, follow my instructions above .. you want to get real hardcore with query Views and database administration junk like grants and user stuff, then you need to get those thick books, and find a place where they have oracle for free .. hahahhahaah .. like if it is ..
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement