return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Collaborating with artists outside of the EDM realm...
View this Thread in Original format
rturn214
'ello everyone-

I have a gig coming up this weekend where I'm definitely the only DJ spinning, it's a charity show here in town with 4 other local bands that are all somewhat in the vein of the phish/gd/mmw etc. jazz/improv/jamband scene (My other true love in music!) In any event, this is definitely a crowd I'm going to have to tryvery hard to win over...

One of the groups and I have been working together to collaborate on a track or two, and possibly work on a jam out of their set and into mine. Rigth now I'm just playing with different loops (Like bongo/conga percussive sounds) and acapella tracks to try and get something to sound cohesive, but what I'm really wondering is has anyone else ever tried anything like this, and if so, what approach did you take?

Even though I'm not traditionally a scratch DJ, I think my sampling/sratch abilities are good enough to play with different acapellas and dj tools.

If anyone has any suggestions, please throw them up here, I'm also looking for good web resources for DJ tools (Tired of paying $1.50 for a 30 second clip from Beatport).

Thanks for all the help guys, peace, cheers,

RJT
TranceSpeeder
have you seen tiesto in concert 2? they have done some great creative things.
rturn214
Without sounding too much like a jerk... I've really given up a Tiesto...

Can you elaborate on what goes on in this DVD though? It's obviously more than most of his live shows...
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by TranceSpeeder
have you seen tiesto in concert 2? they have done some great creative things.
you mean some violinists playing over the top of his set?

ok, quite cool but did the talent there lie with the musicians or with tiesto i wonder? hmmmm

haha
rturn214
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox

ok, quite cool but did the talent there lie with the musicians or with tiesto i wonder? hmmmm

haha

See, this is for sure what I'm trying to avoid... I don't want this just to amount to them jamming over a track, I want this to be quote "Organic" sounding... at least a somewhat unique sound...

It would be cool, at least I think it would be, if I could incorporate my decks and ableton in this somehow, but that could easily amount to too much going on...
dinoXpress
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox

haha
]

that violinist is DJ Mason, one of the best up and coming djs out of Holland. he plays the violin while he spins and is an amazing producer. electro breaks all teh waY!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement