return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Storing and Caring for Vinyl
View this Thread in Original format
PersianMafia
Alright guys, I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions, I'm new to the vinyl game. Here it goes

- What kind of storage can you recommend for me? Is it best to get a case, if so should it be steel, plastic, material, or is it better to leave on a shelf?

- What about the records themselves, whats the best way to clean them and get ride of the dust that falls on them? Any special cloths/chemicals or is a simple damp cloth good enough. If so a circular motion is best right? And how often would you clean your vinyl?

- What about sleeves. Some of my vinyl don't have paper sleeves just the original cardboard covers. Is it possible to buy the paper sleeves or are they pointless?

That's it for now, thanks! Sorry if numerous threads on this have already passed, if so you can just post their link.

Thanks.
i got big pants
regular milk crates work fine for me. i usually make sure that they're at an angle in the event i dont have a crate or there isnt enough vinyl in a crate. I try and avoid direct sunlight, and i try to keep them in a place where it doesnt get too hot either.

ive heard groove glide works great...and those little cicle pads...i havent tried either...but i really should, especially for records i score off of ebay.

hope that helps a bit
Cheetah86
The big thing is storing them upright without a lot of side pressure on them. If they're stored horizontally(ie you stack them), they'll warp into bowl-shaped records over time, and excess pressure will do that as well. At home, I keep them on a shelf that's out of sunlight with a simple metal bookend keeping them upright with not too much pressure on them. Also, keep them away from sunlight which will gradually make them warp, as the last post pointed out. Heat sources, such as a warm computer or radiator will do that as well. For cleaning, I use an anti-static brush to keep dust off, like this:

Buying inner sleeves to go inside the cardboard covers is nice to keep dust off the records if you think it will become a problem, it's up to you if you think they're necessary though.
[Chriz]
well my speakers came in a box that could fit about 90 records nicely...and so does my cdj boxes....so i got 4 boxes there which i re-used...and yup...its pretty important to keep them vertical..a couple of my vinyls warped because i left them horizontal and forgot about them....
PersianMafia
Thanks for the help people. I'll be sure to keep them upright and straight, until I get some kind of shelf or box. Yeah I really need cleaner, because most of my vinyl are used and pretty dusty. Local record shops should have those anti-static or that groove glide cleaner right?
i got big pants
go to any office store, officemax if you have one up there. they usually have crates you can get for a couple bucks that work great.
razzi
milk crates
keithos27
Sefour vinyl storage rack...

Milk crates do the trick as well. The Sefour has metal bars as opposed to wooden flat shelves to store the vinyl so I guess less pressure is placed on the vinyl.

I've heard a combination of 1/3 rubbing alcohol (the lesser alcohol perecentage one I *think*) and 2/3 water put in a spray bottle will work as well... you then spray the solution mixed onto a SOFT paper towel until it is damp. Then wipe over vinyl in a circular motion covering all of the vinyl at once counter-clockwise. I've heard Gruvglide is good too... but that oculd be expensive if you have 100s of vinyls.

-Keith
shades_of_gray
nice one keithos.....i think i might have to purchase one of those storage racks
keithos27
quote:
Originally posted by shades_of_gray
nice one keithos.....i think i might have to purchase one of those storage racks

I need a second one soon. :o

shades_of_gray
quote:
Originally posted by keithos27
I need a second one soon. :o

lol....i could just about fill one up....how much do they hold?
keithos27
quote:
Originally posted by shades_of_gray
lol....i could just about fill one up....how much do they hold?

I think somewhere in the range of 450-500.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement