return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
types of beats
View this Thread in Original format
eyeball_2003
hey all just a quick question, would anyone agree with this?

if i take 3 well known tracks (to keep it simple) and give the sound of their beats a number to show its clarity like so...

gouryella - gouryella (1) - very 'muddy' beat
mmdc - no more rain (thomas datt rmx) (2) - slightly 'muddy' beat
pvd - crush (3) - very sharp clear beat

would it be fair to say that when mixing....
* a 1 will go with a 1, a 2 with a 2 and a 3 with a 3.
* a 1 with a 2 or a 2 with a 3
* but never a 1 with a 3

hope you all know what the hell im talking about, lol
its just im trying to mix so its hardly noticable that the beat has changed....
also couple this beat thing with harmonic mixing and i rekon it should sound good

can anyone just tell me if im talking crap or if it sounds like it makes sense to them

Zild
I kinda like it when a DJ switches from one type of kick sound to a different type of kick sound it makes it interesting.
eyeball_2003
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
I kinda like it when a DJ switches from one type of kick sound to a different type of kick sound it makes it interesting.

thanks for the reply
yeah i would agree with that definatly, but i was just listening to some sets and noticed that you can rarely tell that there is a new beat, only the rest of the songs such as synths give away the fact that its a new track coming in. just wondered if this method of categorizing beats would help me to achieve this.
shades_of_gray
if you want to create that where you can clearly her the new beat....i think the punch buttons on your mixer helps....punch the new track in with the bass down or up...but make sure you got the levels set correctly....then work the EQ
eyeball_2003
quote:
Originally posted by shades_of_gray
if you want to create that where you can clearly her the new beat....i think the punch buttons on your mixer helps....punch the new track in with the bass down or up...but make sure you got the levels set correctly....then work the EQ

i kinda want to do the opposite, what iv been doing recently is begining with the bass really low on the incoming track then slowley turning it up. and by puch button do u mean 'transform' button? cos thats what my mixer has
thanks
shades_of_gray
punch buttons should be either side of your crossfader (if you have them) well if you want to do the opposite.....plase the crossfader in the middle and use the upfaders for a smoother less noticeable transaction....and if you want to barely notice the incoming track then kill the bass, then gradually turn it back up....as your doing then reduce the bass of the outgoing track.......its whatever works best for you....try differnt things....play with the mid's and hi's

i like to fade the incoming track with no bass and then at the right moment swop them immeadiatly its simple but effective and works well....
eyeball_2003
quote:
Originally posted by shades_of_gray
punch buttons should be either side of your crossfader (if you have them) well if you want to do the opposite.....plase the crossfader in the middle and use the upfaders for a smoother less noticeable transaction....and if you want to barely notice the incoming track then kill the bass, then gradually turn it back up....as your doing then reduce the bass of the outgoing track.......its whatever works best for you....try differnt things....play with the mid's and hi's

i like to fade the incoming track with no bass and then at the right moment swop them immeadiatly its simple but effective and works well....

that sounds good... but i guess they have to be beatmatched perfectly to be able to do that? maybe i could do it so the new bass line is just hearable then i can ride the pitch if need-be to help avoid a train wreck.
anyway off to practise now, thanks for the help guys :)
shades_of_gray
quote:
Originally posted by eyeball_2003
that sounds good... but i guess they have to be beatmatched perfectly to be able to do that? maybe i could do it so the new bass line is just hearable then i can ride the pitch if need-be to help avoid a train wreck.
anyway off to practise now, thanks for the help guys :)

yeh go and try it....and yes they both have 2 be beatmatched just like when your doing a cut....and if they slide outa sync....ride the pitch

good luck
TwoPlow
No. Don't try to make blanket rules like that for mixing. If you have a muddy beat and you bring in a sharp one, as long as you don't suck or cut it in; as long as you use a slow fade, it can sound real nice. You get a nice narrowing effect. Same when you have a sharp beat and you bring in a muddy one, it just sounds like the beat is filtering out.
shades_of_gray
as i said, fade using the upfaders and do it gradually, cos the upfaders is a more smoother transaction, rather than just using the crossfader only

DJ 00 Tommy
What does the punch button do? Sorry if it was already answerd
i got big pants
if im playing into a harder bass kick track, i'll ususally turn the harder bass eq about 1/8th of the way up, and usually the 8th or 16th beat, i'll kill the bass on the one that was playing and cue in the new bassline at the same time. works pretty good.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement