return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
how to make that sound when mixing
View this Thread in Original format
hydrolisko
I was listening to some PvD sets yesterday and i realized that when he transitions from one song to another, he often makes this quick scratching sound. Anyone know how to do this effectively?
Tegu
like on politics of dancing?
DJ_Ikronix
You aren't talking about a backspin, are you?
zizack
yeah, I'm not really sure what you're talking about...I haven't ever known PVD to sctarch during mixes...those sounds may just be part of the actual songs.
shades_of_gray
ok do it like this

place your finger at 12 oclock on the label of the record thats playing
catch the record quickly enough so it dosnt pause or run backwards
pull the record round backwards as fast as you can. spinning it on the slipmat

something like that
A.J.
hehe i have always wondered about this as well :p

You guys are talking about that quick "woop wooop woop" scratching noise, arent' you?
Zild
That wooop wooop wooop sound is a bass drum sample played in reverse. Its probably part of the production of one of the tracks that is playing.
dj_lane
he might pull the beat back 2 times then let go

i wouldnt do that, but who knows...
Nemesis44
The man uses computer technology these days, it would be pretty darn easy to do that with the software out there today withoug breaking too much of a sweat. Might just be a sample pure and simple.

Take the remake of Signum -First Strike. All you have to do is mix it normaly as the production already stratching with the kick drum in it.

There is a way of catching the beat and working it when you beat juggle but that is quite difficult and I doubt that PvD does that.

Cheers
Nem
sayaboyoyo
thats right i have been listening some live set of paul van dyk and i was impressed by the scrath betweewn the cross fading i try to do it but it so hard to do

Exodus17
PVD scratches?:wtf: since when

you can make that woopwoop sound by either using a sample or if you have good rythm and a steady hand... "scratch" the first beat of the next track back and fourth a couple of times and let it go whilst Eqing the last track down

to be perfectly honest i havent listened to much as far as PVD sets/albums... just a few older livesets :tongue2

but yea i kinda understand wut ur talking about... ive tried to do that sorta thing in my mixes but my tables wont have it:mad: i usually end up skiping ahead a couple of grooves:whip:

need real decks for such sophisticated record manipulation:o
razzi
quote:
Originally posted by Exodus17
about... ive tried to do that sorta thing in my mixes but my tables wont have it:mad: i usually end up skiping ahead a couple of grooves:whip:

need real decks for such sophisticated record manipulation:o

some good carts and some slippy slipmats are a cure for it. i use stanton str8-80s in my room with whitelabels and some nice butter rugs, and it almost never skips when i backspin (unless the record is warped.. i just stay away from backspins completely then). be sure to have a steady hand and keep your motion simple and unwavering. i know you hate to read it, but practice makes perfect.

razzi.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement