return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
which turntable set is better?
View this Thread in Original format
maciek synergy
i do understand that they are both entry-level and not what you call great tables. is one package better than the other? i just need something to start on

Numark : Battlepack
2 x Numark TT1625 Direct Drive Turntable; 1 x Numark DM950 Mixer; 2 x Fitted Cartridges & Stylii; 1 x Numark HF125 Headphones; 2 x Phono - RCA Leads 2 x Slipmats

Price: $499.99 CAD

or

Stanton: Spin Cycle Package
2x Stanton STR8 30 Direct Drive Turntable; 1 x Stanton SMX201 Mixer; 2 x Fitted Stanton 500 Carts & Stylii; 1 x Headphones; 2 x Phono - RCA Leads; 2 x Slipmats.

Price: $449.99 CAD

thanks for the help.
Orbital32
i would go with the numarks....out of those two.
Cosmic Realm
i have the Numark TT1625, and im selling them because they are ... good to start off with but after about a year or so you will hate it, i promise you
i just bought Technics off e-bay and since iv used Tech's before i will never look back
maciek synergy
how are they ? i look at features and i guess there isnt really any significal difference from mk2's? or am i wrong.
dartman
I don't know what the specs are for those numarks but Technics are better. Don't get all caught up in the numbers. Technics are just all around better than those decks. If there wasn't any difference everyone would be spinning on $150 decks.

With that being said, if you can't afford or don't want to buy Technics those will get you started. But if you keep with it, you will probably end up buying Technics or TT-500s, TTXs or something like that.

Good Luck
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by maciek synergy
how are they ? i look at features and i guess there isnt really any significal difference from mk2's? or am i wrong.

there is a HUGE difference mate.

tt1625/50's are great to learn on, but once you get to a certain stage they simply aren't good enough. the motors tend to wear quite badly and lose the precision after about 10 months. holding pitch isn't a massive problem unless you touch the pitch fader. making small alterations mid-mix can become a pain and make you want to throw the bastards out of the window.

a pair of technics will do none of the above. however if you learn on a pair of technics you will be spoilt, and won't be able to mix for if any other decks are put in front of you. one important spec to look at is wow & flutter. if you compare those specs, you will see that a 1200/1210 (or any other top-end turntable - SHOP AROUND!!) s on a tt1650 from a great height.

if i were you i would see if you can fork out the extra money for tt200's, they are much better decks for your money
DJ Intrigue
I originally started out with that same Numark package and yes, it isn't all it is cracked up to be. If you are a total noob, the set will work fine until you master the fundamentals and understand the basics of dj'ing. However, you will need to upgrade. Someone else mentioned about the gear lasting for a year, and that is pretty damn accurate. I upgraded my Numark set a good year after I bought it primarily due to feeling limited on what I could do and also feeling like I had outgrown the equipment. This could vary, of course, but expect an upgrade period like this if you happen to get very much into the dj'ing activity. I can now say I'm the proud owner of a set of Technics and a Vestax mixer and I have yet to feel limited after a year now of owning them too.

If you still want to get the Battlepak, I'd advise you to invest in some decent headphones right off the bat because the ones included are complete and won't do any justice. The mixer is your very basic two-channel unit with only two eq knobs. You will be able to work with mixing somewhat, but hardly on a creative level. Look into upgrading your mixer second, as it will start to feel limiting pretty quick. The tables are ok. They are made of plastic and the torque is quite low, so it won't take much pressure to stop the platter. They worked for me then, but now I can't stand them after now owning better tables. The pitch control feels loose and there is some noticeable fluctuation in pitch when beatmatching. Also, the plastic base and parts make the tables seem very cheap and almost childish, like Fisher Price toys. There are no dust covers and the slipmats are the standard felt/velour type. The tone arm is not as intricate as other tables and can't be adjusted too much. As far as the needles go, not much to say here as they will do the job fine.

All in all, the Battlepak is alright and did the job for me, but regardless, I can't recommend it. The reason I say this is because after having used better gear, the whole pack seems too "toyish" and plasticy to be used for dj applications. Not to metion, the design of the tables are absolutely ugly and the two on/off buttons are not needed. I see your other choice is the Stanton package. I have no experience with this or with Stanton tables, but I seriously wanted one of their packages when I first started rather than the Numark set. My parents, however, wouldn't spring for the extra money for a Stanton set. IMO, the Stanton tables look better and more durable than the Numark ones and even at entry-level equipment, I consider Stanton ahead of Numark. Maybe someone else can give you a heads up on your other choice.
cyanidebm
I bought a used DJ set on ebay which included 2 STR8-30s, ive never used any other tables for comparison but am pleased with the STR8-30s, they seem solid even after the beating they took from the platters in shipping.

-cyanidebm
maciek synergy
thanks guys, that pretty much answsered all my questions and then some. i'll slowly bargain around for mk2's.
DJ_TWiLiGHT
quote:
Originally posted by maciek synergy
thanks guys, that pretty much answsered all my questions and then some. i'll slowly bargain around for mk2's.

good idea man, I picked up a set of MK3D's with oddesy(sp?) flight cases for $600usd. The guy even had the original boxes, receepts, and warranty info. good deals can be found

Psiweaver
Stanton decks are good to.
Driguez
buytechsbuytechsbuytechsbuytechsbuytechsbuytechsbuytechsbuytechsbuytechs