return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

The inevitable "break:" Time away from the decks... beneficial?
View this Thread in Original format
DJ RJT
I recently took a decent length (Around a week, a little less) break from spinning records. I just wasn't really happy with what I was doing and felt to a certain extent that I wasn't doing anything new, and that my transitions were actually getting worse b/c it was almost like I was just going through the motions instead of really focusing on what I was doing.

During my break though, I downloaded a lot of new sets from DJ's I hadn't really listened to very much (Halliwell, Wink, etc.), and from a lot of the TA's (Marcus Beier, Seneca, Mili, just to name a few), as well as headed out and about to see and learn from other DJ's (The DEMF was like one big DJ school weekend for me...).

In any event, after listening to some of these sets and learning some new (albeit basic) tips to help me work on adding some new flavor to my sets I've never felt better behind the decks. I guess, to a certain extent, maybe I'm making more mistakes, but they're different mistakes and not because I'm not focusing on what I'm doing, but because I'm trying something new that I haven't done before, and therefore I think the wrecks are a little more acceptable b/c in my eyes I'm working on something I've never tried before, so I don't expect to nail it right away...

Has anyone else ever found time away from actually spinning records to be beneficial for their live performance? Or even just practice? I mean, I went from almost 2 years of playing at least an hour a day in my apartment to just nothing for a week, and when I got back on the decks it felt amazing... like brand new...

Peace, Cheers,

Rob
shades_of_gray
yes take time off

it does get frustrating when a mix dosnt go right and you keep trying....and then give up.......then try again an hour later.....it dosnt work....cos ur frustrated

i wait a while until i get a batch of fresh new tunes (usually a week!) and you feel excited cos all you wanna do is mix them.....and as soon as i get them i pull them straight from the sleeve.....i get straight on the decks and mix them.....and that is when i mix to the best of my ability.....and for some reason it flows perfectly everytime....and i always throw in a couple of classics to really spice the mix up......but usually these 'new' tunes loose there novelty after a time (unless they are good ones).....so thats when i slow down for a bit and mabye wait a while till i get new tunes in.....but the classics never loose there novelty
Fresh
I think taking a break is actually quite necessary every now and again! Pointless going on the decks when your not really in the mood, and that seems to be more the case these days when I'm on my own. Much better when your with a group of friends having a back to back session all night with a few beers and spliffs!

I remember about 2 years ago i was getting annoyed because I didn't feel like I was progressing at all, probably because I was mixing a certain style and I was getting bored. So.. I left the decks collecting dust for over a month! ..which is quite along time for me. During this time I started listening to tunes and mixes from the liquid dnb scene and found myself excited again, wanting to mix. So I changed my style and started to build up a liquid dnb vinyl collection and no suprise I was loving the mixing once again! But in no less than 15 months the same thing happened again, so I changed my style once again to mostly techno because of going to alot of techno raves and having alot of friends that mixed it.. I couldnt resist! Now tho I seem to be drifting towards breakbeat, tech house and electro.. its in crazy! I get to a point in mixing a certain style where I've pretty much mastered it and then get bored, so in order to relight my enthusiasm I need to get into new and fresh music that I havent really heard before.

Although mixing is 10x better if your playing at a party, thats what its all about at the end of the day! And I always find myself still buzzing when going on the decks even weeks after Ive attended or played at a rave!
chesco
I find myself going in a cycle, for two weeks all i want to do it play on the decks, but the more you play, the more you get tired of playing to the same four walls with little or no end product. So yes, taking a break is essential, i usually find two weeks of leaving the decks alone, buying new tunes etc suits me, by the time i'm ready to go again - i have a load of new material to mix with and i actually want to be playing the decks rather than just doing random mixes for the hell of it.

I think the same is evident with even the biggest dj's who are playing week in week out - maybe 4 gigs a week, this is maybe why there are so many conflicting reviews on their sets.
ESMdjm600
yea its kinda like bodybuilding... u grow when u rest. (oh my god rjt, u dont know how badly i need some of that turntable right now)
DJ RJT
quote:
Originally posted by ESMdjm600
oh my god rjt, u dont know how badly i need some of that turntable right now)

Hmmm... I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I'm pretty sure I know the feeling :D ;)

Edit #1: ROFL @ Myself... now I know for sure what you were talking about ;) ;) ;)

And I definitely know the feeling! Good luck...
sym
Only spin when you want to. I find that is the best way to do it. Don't push yourself to sping. I agree though, usually when I take a couple of weeks off, I come back with some new ideas and can feel I'm better than before after the first few transitions.
Stilez
Ha....I'm going on my 3rd mth.. and I"m going nuts. I started a new job... moved to a new place... and I work shifts... so I've been having a hard time... no time to even set up my !! :whip: :whip: :whip:
Driguez
take time off,couple of weeks,go buy a couple of records then go back and spin,you'll spin with desire and flawlessly,i've done it a couple of times and i think its nessesary every now and then :D
benoitfan
quote:
Originally posted by ESMdjm600
yea its kinda like bodybuilding... u grow when u rest. (oh my god rjt, u dont know how badly i need some of that turntable right now)

funny, exactly what i think. yes, breaks are healthy!

dcougar99
yea breaks are good... i go for about a month at a time... when i had a resedency i only played on my home setup to check out the new records. after one or two mixes with the new tracks they go into the bag. i only mix about every 3rd-4th week for 3-4 times that week, then take a few weeks off.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement