return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
I've Gotten Good With My Other Hand
View this Thread in Original format
Nautilus
For a couple months now at work I've been using my left-hand, my non-dominant hand, to use the mouse on my PC. I had to make the change because after years of PC usuage (damn you Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake II (especially Quake II), Unreal, & Quake III) I would have unbearable pain, running from my shoulder to my hand, bother me every day.

The pain in my dominant arm, my right arm, has pretty much gone away, but it's coming back because I still use my right-hand to operate my mouse on my home PC. Only reason I kept my home PC right-handed was because I don't use it as much as my work one.

Now, I just switched my home mouse to left-handed usuage. Has anybody had to make the same switch I have? (Want to help me bomb the computer hardware industries???)

I wonder if my right arm will ever tolerate heavy mouse usuage again.
tribu
Ive spent the last year doing what youre doing on a grander scale. Aside from computer mouse usage, i can also write left handed, eat left handed and do other life tasks. I find the idea that you are right or left-handed abhorring; by using repetitive training you can be either handed or ambidextrous.

If you want to learn write left-handeed, by some childs writing books and use them...its how you learned to write in the first place and its a good way to redevelop those basic skills.
Dervish
Yeah I did it for a bit, but I'm restartin it ust now. My right wrist is a bit dodgy so is my right elbow just from sitting at comps all the time uni (my uni course is all on comps really) then at home on the net for fun and stuff.

Kinda worried about it (is it carpol tunnel(sp) or something like that?).
Gravgon
you have the RSI (stands for repetitive strain injury), I started to have it too few weeks ago and the funny thing is that I play Quake II too :)

the pain was first in my fingers, then in my wrist and now it is sometimes in my forearm :nervous:
Arbiter
I get eye strain once in a while so set everything in windows to a black background. Seems to help.
Aquarian
I'm left handed but I've always used my right hand to operate the mouse. I've tried with my left hand and I have no coordination whatsoever. :conf:
Nautilus
quote:
Originally posted by Arbiter
I get eye strain once in a while so set everything in windows to a black background. Seems to help.

great tip. I use a grey background to help lessen eye strain as well.

black, huh. what color text do you use?
Nautilus
quote:
Originally posted by Aquarian
I'm left handed but I've always used my right hand to operate the mouse. I've tried with my left hand and I have no coordination whatsoever. :conf:

takes a while to get comfortable using your mouse with your other hand. took me about two weeks before I was completely capable of using my left-hand with the precission and speed of my right-hand.
Nautilus
quote:
Originally posted by Gravgon
you have the RSI (stands for repetitive strain injury), I started to have it too few weeks ago and the funny thing is that I play Quake II too :)

the pain was first in my fingers, then in my wrist and now it is sometimes in my forearm :nervous:

that pain eventually works its way up to your shoulder. i'm going to keep using my left arm until i develop the same problems I have with my right arm now, which should be a few years. after that i'll switch back to my right arm...

i wonder if i can use my feet to use the mouse???
Arbiter
quote:
Originally posted by Nautilus
great tip. I use a grey background to help lessen eye strain as well.

black, huh. what color text do you use?

Looks like this.

r5a
What a deceiving thread title.

GG RSI!
Nautilus
quote:
Originally posted by r5a
What a deceiving thread title.

GG RSI!

:D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE