return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Dots on the side of the turntable
View this Thread in Original format
sm44
Hey, i did a search but couldnt find anything on this. Im a newbie to turntables and just wondered if the 6%, 3.3%, 0 & -3.3% dots meant anything or helps u in anyway?
Also a couple of other newbie questions
1) the high freq's sound a bit distorted, is it cos im not used to the vinyl sound, or my speakers. The high freq on my mixer is set to zero. If it had to do with the turntable would there be too much weight on the tonearm or not enough?
2) when cueing do u cue then just press play, or have it playing and hold the record at the cue point and let go?
3) do u scratch holding closer to the outside of the record or closer to the inside label?

Thanks in advance
Inertia
you can just use the dots to see if your turntable is properly calibrated. given the set speeds (0%, 3.33%, -3.33%, etc), when your deck is at such speed, that respective line of dots should look as if it is standing still...

1) probably your speakers... weights shouldn't have anything to do with it, at least i don't think...
2) i normally have the platter spinning, and just let go in time.
3) it all depends on what type of scratch you're going for and how comfortable you feel doing it. basically, it's personal preference.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement