return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
The Big Questions.
View this Thread in Original format
töbias
Please answer 1, or more, and give your reasoning.

1. Are ducks the only animal we eat that someone who lives in a big city will see on a regular basis?

2. Is it possible to love someone when they don't love you back?

3. If the world as we know it were to collapse due to some type of catastrophe, such a world war, natural disaster, or disease, and we lost electricity, the use of machines, the entire financial system, and humans were reduced to lives without any form of technology, how would we fare on a country by country basis? Which countries would do well, and which would struggle?

4. Why do we tend to remember the people who broke up with us more so than people we broke up with?

5. Will sport become obsolete when science gets to a stage where speed, strength and competitive nature can become pre-determined or manufactured on demand?

6. Will the existance of God ever be scientically proven or not proven to the extent where you will trust the answer from research?

7. What major changes in society do you predict to happen during your lifetime? Previous examples of what I mean can include a shift towards people having sex before marriage, equality in the sexes and between different ethnic groups of people, and public acceptance of gay liasons.

8. When going to court often you can feel that the current system is extremely old fashioned with words in a book dictating social standards, one or a few humans holding so much power, and laws dictating information used, the need to travel to a certain building for judgement and an overall lack of transparency. Life for human beings has changed so much over the past few centuries and the courts have changed little. How could we make our judicial systems more up-to-date?

9. Why are jail terms usually about 75% less than what we feel the offender deserves?

10. Why does the media mainly report bad news?
What would need to happen for the media to report primarily good news?
Will a shift to the amount of bad news in the media actually being good news ever happen?
Shizane2002
Yes.
djdust
the big answer:

i dont know
apostrophe
1. I have no idea, I've never really thought about it much. It would all depend on the city, country, culture. I've lived in a country where herds cows roamed the streets freely...and they ate em.

2. Love? Yes I'm sure you could, emotional attachments such as love, albeit strong, can come and go, leaving one stranded hopelessly.

4. Simple - the people that broke up with us hurt us more than the ones that we broke up with (generally)

And i'll skip to the end..

10. Media reports the bad news because it boosts the rating. People like seeing the tragedies of the times. Reporting news is a business, even though it's supposed to be unbiased and factual. It's all about making the most money possible.
Steve Stephano
1. I don't live in a big city, so I am unaware which animals I eat that I would no longer see. I see lambs and cows on a daily basis.

2. I believe so. I have seen instances.

3. I'm not sure, many humans and notoriously adaptable.

4. Perhaps the rejection you feel.

5. Errrrrrrrrrm.... maybe the sport will become that of who can make it bigger (or smaller) and better.

6. I do not know. Maybe when there is a cure for death, those people will have the answer.

7. I would have to think about it, and can't be bothered.

8. Again, I would have to think about it, and can't be bothered. ;)

9. I do not know.

10. The media reposts the bad news because it is what most people are interested in reading. I don't think there will be a shift unless that shift comes from the consumer.
Xenocreator_PG_
1. ducks are yummy.

2. Yerrrr I love women. They are tops.

3. Aussies will be the best as We know how to cook up wichety grubs with vegemite.

4. Damn my first girlfriend. SHe broke my heart. I still love that bitch. She had great that girl.... I think she gave birth last year.

5. Ill have one shot of big dick thanks & 2 shots of mega mega forearm muscle

6. Future Scientists will invent a robotic god that has genetically grown pubes on its arse

7. Men will wank & spunk into usb-3 ports & woman will get pregnant just by turning on their computers.

8. Soon everyone will have cameras welded to their heads & the robot gods (developed by the scientists) will over-see every action humans make. Fair judgememnt will be called & people will be zapped by brain implants everytime they have an impure thought. I want *zap* to *zap* hump your *zap* pooper *zap zap zap**

9. 65% of my brain switched off when reading this question.

10. People need trauma. One trauma will be replaced by another. Ill swap 2 deaths for a rape & a kidnapping. thanx.
Aquarian
quote:
Originally posted by töbias
1. Are ducks the only animal we eat that someone who lives in a big city will see on a regular basis?

Probably - unless we start eating pigeons and squirrels.

quote:

Why wouldn't it? Happends all the time.

quote:

3. If the world as we know it were to collapse due to some type of catastrophe, such a world war, natural disaster, or disease, and we lost electricity, the use of machines, the entire financial system, and humans were reduced to lives without any form of technology, how would we fare on a country by country basis? Which countries would do well, and which would struggle?

Probably those countries that are underdevelloped at the moment. The people there don't use technology to begin with, and this would be no significant change for them. However, we're very dependant on our technology - ever noticed how impotent we feel when there's a long power outrage?

quote:

4. Why do we tend to remember the people who broke up with us more so than people we broke up with?

If you broke up with them, you're the one who wanted to forget about them.

quote:

5. Will sport become obsolete when science gets to a stage where speed, strength and competitive nature can become pre-determined or manufactured on demand?

Just because you have the potential to do something, doesn't mean you will. Jimmy Hendrix was born with the potential to be a great guitarist, but if he never had the interrest to start learning to play it, he never would have achieved that potential.

quote:

6. Will the existance of God ever be scientically proven or not proven to the extent where you will trust the answer from research?

Can you disprove the hypothesis that there's a giant clown orbiting one of saturn's moons who dictates control over the universe? A more important question would be - why would scientists waste their time trying to prove or disprove something so trivial?

quote:

7. What major changes in society do you predict to happen during your lifetime? Previous examples of what I mean can include a shift towards people having sex before marriage, equality in the sexes and between different ethnic groups of people, and public acceptance of gay liasons.

Societies become more liberal as time progresses. Could we ever see the day where *GASP* homosexuality will be socially accepted in the united states? :eek:

quote:

8. When going to court often you can feel that the current system is extremely old fashioned with words in a book dictating social standards, one or a few humans holding so much power, and laws dictating information used, the need to travel to a certain building for judgement and an overall lack of transparency. Life for human beings has changed so much over the past few centuries and the courts have changed little. How could we make our judicial systems more up-to-date?

The jury is automatically biased. The biggest improvement that could be implemented on the system is to replace the jury by an emotionless machine that deals in cold, hard logic. But that's never gonna happen even if we had such technology. People just wouldn't accept it.

quote:

9. Why are jail terms usually about 75% less than what we feel the offender deserves?

You mean like people losing decades of their lives because they sold a substance that the state had decided people shouldn't possess? Or how about the thousands of innocent men who get sentenced to death under circumstancial evidence while the angry mob outside screams for blood?

quote:

They report bad news because that's what gets ratings. Also - nobody cares about the good news.

"This just in! Terrorists have crashed two civilian planes into the world trade center. The structure has just collapsed and thousands are presumed dead. Also, dave's lost puppy has been found!"
Trance Nutter
I mostly agree with ^^

However, for number 1:
Really, cats and dogs should be counted. Maybe not in Western culture, but in China/Korea etc they do eat these animals.
Also, cows are sacred in India, where they can be found in streets (okay, maybe not big cities).
Plus, you can also say rabbits, we see them every now and again in the outer suburbs around here.
I also think the ducks that are eaten are a different breed to those seen in the cities, however I'm most likely wrong about this.
Arbiter
quote:
Originally posted by töbias

That depends on the person, and the city (not to mention who "we" are.) Some may not even see ducks regularly.

quote:

In a manner of speaking, yes. It depends on what you would classify as "love." The way the term is most often used as a verb, I believe it makes perfect sense.

quote:

That would depend upon the particular nature of the catastrophe. In particular, the extent to which pre-existing infrastructure could be repaired or otherwise brought back into use would play a large role. If infrastructure was completely wiped out, then nations which had previously done without it would be at an advantage.

quote:

If you broke up with the person, it may have been in part due to simply a general disinterest with them at that particular point. Similar inherent disinterest is unlikely in the case of those who broke up with you.

quote:

There are a variety of possibilities. Competitive sports may simply take actions to prohibit the use of some scientific methods to gain an advantage and preserve a more "natural" competitive environment. I don't think it is too likely that sport will become entirely obsolete, but it may undergo significant change.

quote:

No. I have little more faith in science than I do in religion. Especially modern science. I have much more faith in my own observations and reasoning, and they have already proven quite conclusive in this matter.

quote:

I expect the same trends to continue for as long as I am alive. As far as changes go, I believe that drug laws will weaken significantly, for one. I also expect racial McCarthyism to become more widespread, by which I mean the definition of "racism" will continue to be expanded so as to attack the character of various individuals.

quote:

I do not believe that our judicial systems can simply be refurbished. They need to be completely demolished so that an entirely new system can be built upon the same ground.

In particular, I don't believe that we can continue to rely on the judgment of a random selection of citizens picked off the street. I would also like to see greater flexibility throughout the system, allowing those passing judgment to actually use their judgment.

quote:

I do not share this particular bias. In fact, I am not a fan of imprisonment as a form of correction or punishment at all.

quote:
Will a shift to the amount of bad news in the media actually being good news ever happen?

The media primarily reports bad news because that is what will get people to watch. I believe that our lives in this era are too easy, and that we have a subconscious need to be faced with greater adversity. Some people manufacture this adversity in their own minds - we call it "depression." Others seek out things to be "concerned" about wherever they can find them: the news capitalizes on this demand and happily obliges.

In order for this paradigm to change, the demand for good news would have to exceed the demand for bad news. However, this is unlikely as far as I can see, because new technology will only continue to make life easier for people, and they will only become more dependent on artificial sources of adversity, such as the news, to balance their lives.
NomadaNare
1. yes

2. yes

3. +1 (Arbiter)

4. +1

5. no, they have steroids don't they? They'll just outlaw the enhancements or anybody with them, especialy with the religious right and their obvious sway over the government, this outcome is almost guaranteed to happen (but only if the enhancements come in the near future)

6. no I don't think so, what exactly can one use as research of God? His work is entirely subjective and it's all based on how and what one believes of Him.

7. +1 and I also expect either one of two to happen: "Free Trade" will be advocated so much that it will be put into slight effect or Wal-Mart will expand unmercifully and possibly become the first mega-corporation to have blatant, flagrant power in world affairs.

8. Our judicial systems are flawed, but not the worst. There are ways to circumnavigate certain rules in the system and there are mistakes inherent to it, but it is the best thing we have and for the most part, gets the job done. The only reason that we see such large beligirent atrocities happening is because of the people's interactions with the systems, not the system itself. For example the double standard that is Enron and Martha Stewart is a comment about society, not the system.

9. No one really knows how long these prison sentences are, including the people who give the judgements. twenty five years is an incredibly long time. Hell has anyone ever noticed how long it takes a year to go by? So by that reasoning it is only fair to reduce it an amount.

10. +1 also does anyone ever noticed that a lie spreads faster than the truth? Bad spreads faster good in almost anything because it generates controversy, and controversy is interesting.

dj_alfi
Yes, but he will then dissolve in a cloud of logic.
kutvolkots
I will not answer those questions since it's in contrediction with my (religious)glucoselevel at the moment.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement