return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Dark Matter
View this Thread in Original format
tribu
Often, when I hear physicists describe the problems dark matter has caused in our interpretations of the universe, they say that 95%(the numbers here always seem to vary slightly) of the universe is missing.

If 95% of the universe is unobservable to us, doesn't it seem like perhaps it is us that are missing? I wonder if the rest of the universe will find us someday...
paranoik0
this actually sounds interesting. sources? (for the "95% of the universe is missing" quote)
Moral Hazard
quote:
Originally posted by paranoik0
this actually sounds interesting. sources? (for the "95% of the universe is missing" quote)

This is a generally agreed upon figure. In order for the laws of physics to work correctly there needs to be roughly 95% more mass present in the universe then that which can be observed. If I were at home I could pull out my old astronomy text books and give you a bunch of sources, however, I am not at home.

To me this means that we know exactly all about the universe.
tribu
Im parroting a number Ive heard alot, as Moral reitterated. 2003 numbers from the Wilkinson Microwave Anistotropy Probe put the Universe at 27% matter and 73% 'something else' but thats the only hard data I can find off the top of my head.

Even if thats the correct proportion, its somewhat conceited to suggest that all that is missing or something else. It sounds like we are the exception here.
Moral Hazard
quote:
Originally posted by tribu
Im parroting a number Ive heard alot, as Moral reitterated. 2003 numbers from the Wilkinson Microwave Anistotropy Probe put the Universe at 27% matter and 73% 'something else' but thats the only hard data I can find off the top of my head.

Even if thats the correct proportion, its somewhat conceited to suggest that all that is missing or something else. It sounds like we are the exception here.

OF course it is conceited but when have you known humans to be anything if not arrogant.
tribu
quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
OF course it is conceited but when have you known humans to be anything if not arrogant.

When we accepted a heliocentric system :p
Orko
quote:
If 95% of the universe is unobservable to us, doesn't it seem like perhaps it is us that are missing? I wonder if the rest of the
universe will find us someday...

WOWOWOW

that just blew my mind! Maybe thats why we havent found anythig? we cant see them, and they cant see us.

my brain is going a million miles persecond!!!
Jocker
quote:
put the Universe at 27% matter and 73% 'something else' but thats the only hard data I can find off the top of my head.

that figure is for our galaxy, i assume. other galaxies of other structure (not a spiral, like ours, but rather a cloud) might have different ratios, i suppose.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement