return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Where would you like to be buried?
View this Thread in Original format
Ripped Bag
Be buried? Why bury people at all? Why waste the space?
I had heard about the bull that they didn't have room @ Arlington to bury that guy and started thinking.

I think thats the biggest waste of ing space ever. Storing dead bodies in the ground? C'mon, we're living in a very technology oriented society now. This isn't caveman-dig-hole-drop-body-mourn society anymore. Although we have seem to have carried on this custom they had over the years. Why do this at all? Why waste the space and pay so much for these moronic funerals?

Heres an idea I'm throwing out here just for the sake of doing it.
Well you know they have the Library Of Congress right? Where they store every single book every made. Why not spin off that kind of idea, but for storing information on the deceased? A Digital Cemetary if you will. They could have one building per city that stores this information "Arlington Digital Cemetary" for example. Say you have a very large building. Made and looking very nice like some museum or something. Marble floors and everything. Well have large veiwing areas. With couches for people to sit. Have the walls made of marble to. And have large plasma screens on the sides where you could view the following; information on the person that they wanted others to see, pictures of the person and events that person enjoyed and was at, things the person enjoyed doing. You know, general information and pictures. That sort of thing (maybe more, but I'm just throwing the idea out there right now). Where anyone who wanted to come and look up the person and mourn there if they wanted. Why waste the space on earth with burial? Just cremate the mother******.

Anyhow, expand on this idea. Or tell me what you think.
*I* Think its an awesome idea.
lMIlk
what an interesting topic....:eyes: well that sounds like a good idea..are they supposed to have pictures of their life or something? what if they never had pics?
InsomnEac
i will be burned, not barried :)
Ripped Bag
Well this would be an idea for people lately. I guess the old people that have already been buried couldn't have an pictures but maybe someone would sketch them or something like that. Although everyone recently say; in the past 50 years or so is very likely to have pictures. Maybe they'd even upload digital videos of the person that have been taken over time. Stuff like that. If the person doesn't have any pictures of them through time then I guess they just wouldn't have any. But people would want to take pictures that would be stored in this "Digital Cemetary" don't you think?
j_spot
well..if we dont bury bodies, then what to do with them?
Returning them to the earth is really good for the environment...so I mean, cremation for everyone? kinda goofy.

whatever, different topic.

I am an organ donor. I am giving my body to science when I die. I also keep a diary of drugs that I have done, and when so that if they need to help explain why xyz gland is 4X too big/too small, they might have a better idea as to why. Bodies are in high demand @ universities and medical schools. consider donating yours.
tranceDJ
quote:
Originally posted by j_spot
well..if we dont bury bodies, then what to do with them?
Returning them to the earth is really good for the environment...so I mean, cremation for everyone? kinda goofy.

whatever, different topic.

I am an organ donor. I am giving my body to science when I die. I also keep a diary of drugs that I have done, and when so that if they need to help explain why xyz gland is 4X too big/too small, they might have a better idea as to why. Bodies are in high demand @ universities and medical schools. consider donating yours.

Um...don't we put bodies in sealed coffins so they won't be consumed by the earth?

Also, I applaud you for being an organ donor, I'm going to be one too seeing how you really don't need your organs once you're dead.

I also agree burying people is a bunch of bull. Why do you need to go to a loved one's graves to talk to them, pay respects, etc. Are they able to hear you better from Heaven or whatever when you're at their grave?
lMIlk
its a spiritual thing ;)
tiesto14
when i die...i want to be creamated....then throw my ashes in the sea.....i could never be buried..i hate bugs...lol

=)
j_spot
quote:
Originally posted by tranceDJ

Um...don't we put bodies in sealed coffins so they won't be consumed by the earth?

yeah, but thats not an environmental thing. Do you really wanna know what happens to a human body in a sealed coffin? Its nasty.

oh..and the great thing about donating to science...when they are'done' with you, you are cremated, and there is a mass ceremony for all the people who donated recently. Med students give thanx, familys speak to each other. Its a very moving event. then the ashes are burried I think.

but really. if you are to be burried, think of a wooden coffin. Cheaper and lot better for environment. Or, get rid of the coffin altogether. very cheap, and very effective.
lMIlk
don't forget steel coffings

Ripped Bag
Ok I posted this on a few boards, and I'm not sure but I suppose the title is misleading.

So I made this in response alls retorts thus far (I'm copying it so I don't have to type it over)

I don't give two s about where you want to be buried or what you want done with your disgusting corpse. I wanted you people to expand on my original idea. Here, I'll go a bit deeper into it and explain so maybe some of you will start thinking more.

I got the idea from a mix of things really. Hearing about the pilot that couldn't be buried @ Arlington National Cemetary was what set it off though. Then I started thinking about a book my grandmother had told me about and read a while back. Clifford D Simak's Cemetary World. (brief summary: space fairing people that originated on earth want to be buried on earth. make it one huge cemetary since its first inhabitors [humans] have long since left and it has no use. then its discovered it has been being used for another purpose) Anyhow, then I got to thinking about biotechnology.

I had heard about things like planting chips in peoples heads and it records electrical impulses and interprets them and you could record all the sounds, images, thoughts, and smells throughout your life. Well I didn't really see any real applications for this besides making a vault storing peoples memories (their consciousness I guess you could say) in a large supercomputer for all to be able to view and learn from so that we can become more perfect (I'm starting to tail off into another one of my ideas. which involves downloading information into peoples heads). But that technology isn't here yet, and most likely won't be for some time. But the idea of storing people or reflections of them sparked this idea. If you could store basic information, videos, pictures. In a large vault or room or "Digital Cemetary" where everyone could mourn if they pleased instead of wasting space on earth with their coffins and tombs and bodies. People would still have the sentimental part of it I guess.

Thinking about this idea a bit more brought more and more possibilities for what would make this work and actually be worth doing. Making the information stored on more than just one computer for each town. But a large database that stores them all somewhere (maybe antarctica, it'd keep the cpu(s) cold so they'd run nice =P ) and maybe even allowing people to access the information. I mean come on. You would be able to find out maybe as much as you wanted. People who do geneology and family tree stuff would be interested I know that for sure. See, I'd even think if they wanted to expand on this idea they could take all the known records of every human ever that they could. And do the family tree thing.. Well.. See thats what I was trying to get you people to think of. I guess I'm the only one thinking though.
astroboy
I don't know what happens after you die (I know what happens to the body, but i don't know if there's a spiritual aspect to it - what happens to your soul [if there is such a thing]). So just in case body disposal is relevant to what happens to your 'soul' I figure its safest to do the most natural thing. Burial is pretty natural, but i reckon I'm just gonna tell my friends to ditch my corpse in a nature reserve somewhere and just let the animals and bugs peck at me until theres nothing left.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement