return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

a question to all the internet / network geeks out there..
View this Thread in Original format
D-res
i bought a new laptop yesterday and i'd like to connect it to the cable internet that i have at my house. The cable internet is connected to the desktop in my room. There is no wireless network and i dont plan on setting one up. All i want to do is plug the cable modem into my laptop.

When I do this it says its aquiring a network address, etc. but then when it connects it says it has limited or no connectivity. SOOO... what should i do. I screwed around with ipconfig and the IP settings and stuffi n the internet connections properties but to be honest i'm not too sure exactly what I'm doing.

I REALLY need to get this cable internet as i'm currently connected to some random unsecured network in my neighborhood and i hardly have a signal ever sooo.. yeah. just typing this i lost and regained a connection three times... wtf should i do??

thanks!
Omega_Blue
connect the cables and use the network setup wizard in xp. that and maybe try repairing the connection when you click on the two computers?
sw1
Get a Cable/DSL router so you can share the internet connection with your desktop, and network to your desktop as well. A router will act as a hardware firewall and allow you to connect/disconnect additional computers if desired. Your cable modem should be connected to the router's WAN input, and your computers connected to the router's ports. A wired router is easier to set up and more secure than a wireless one, IMO. A cable modem alone offers no security.
basd
Couldn't you just go with a switch instead of a router?

You've got no firewall then but it's even easier to set up imo.. And he didn't have a firewall to begin with. If security is becoming an issue, then I'd go for the router as well, it'd be the best solution I think.
sw1
Let me rephrase. A router with a 4-port switch, like the LinkSys BEFSR41. A switch cannot connect to a Cable or DSL modem. It only connects to computers and other switches, including the above mentioned router with switch.
sym
I don't know about by you, but here our cable modems remember the last computer connected to it, and won't allow other mac addresses to have access or acquire a network address. The solution to this is to unplug your modem's power for about thirty seconds. Than power it back on already hooked up to the laptop. See if that works. Otherwise your best bet might be to try a router.
sym
quote:
Originally posted by Nou
Who is your cable provider, that seems weird.

It used to be really awkward for AT&T @home, you had to have a special computer name for your comp...

I dont think they even had MAC addressing of the modems... so potentially you could use your cable modem anywhere on their cable system. :p

Now I know Comcast bumps your modems MAC addr into their authenticated databases, you can even do it with software if you wanna buy the modem yourself.

It dosnt even look at the computers MAC addr (this is on two modems I have used).

Oh D-Res, as always I like to say in cases like these check out www.broadbandreports.com which has a wealth of information no one on TA could provide.

Road Runner. It's not just me caus' I've fixed so many people's connection problems just by unplugging it long enough for it to release the mac address. They even tell you to do it if u call customer support :-p
klingklang77
quote:
Originally posted by D-res

I REALLY need to get this cable internet as i'm currently connected to some random unsecured network in my neighborhood and i hardly have a signal ever sooo.. yeah. just typing this i lost and regained a connection three times... wtf should i do??

thanks!

so you are using wireless, just not your own, but an unsecured network? you are trying to plug the cable in while you also have the wireless running? if this is the case, disable your wireless by right clicking on network on the desktop then right click on your wireless and there should be a choice of disable. do that and then try to connect. you cant run wireless and cable at the same time they conflict or something.
D-res
quote:
Originally posted by sym
I don't know about by you, but here our cable modems remember the last computer connected to it, and won't allow other mac addresses to have access or acquire a network address. The solution to this is to unplug your modem's power for about thirty seconds. Than power it back on already hooked up to the laptop. See if that works. Otherwise your best bet might be to try a router.

bwwahahahha... wtf?

no seriously that worked. thanks man :)
sym
quote:
Originally posted by D-res
bwwahahahha... wtf?

no seriously that worked. thanks man :)

:toothless
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement