return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Bah, humbug.....
View this Thread in Original format
Renegade
Gawd I hate Christmas.

It just seems like an excuse to go out and spend a lot of money on thoughtless gifts (of the 3pm December 24th variety) that you can't really afford, in exchange for a load of gifts that you don't really want. What's the point? Wouldn't it make more sense just to go out and buy gifts for ourselves and then try to act suprised when we find them under the tree on the 25th? Now that's the kinda giving I'm willing to get into the spirit of.

And then Christmas lunch? Does anyone actually like turkey? In case you hadn't noticed, it's exactly the same as chicken except drier and about 20 times more expensive. Couldn't we just run down to McDonalds? At least then we could guarantee that everyone could enjoy it. And why is everyone always drunk by 10am?

And the tree? Does a semi-erect piece of plastic crap draped in a half-arsed array of expensive decorative crap really mean anything? And is it just me, or do Christmas carols really blow? Especially after hearing each of them 391 times a day in the fortnight before Christmas? In every single department store? Does anyone else wish Bing Crosby were dead? Oh, wait a sec...

I think it all boils down to the point that everyone these days misses the point of Christmas: to celebrate the birth of Santa.

I think I'm just gonna lock myself in my house and wait until Christmas disappears for another year. Bring on NYE. Now that's a holiday I'm willing to get excited about. :D
barry_sheen
Your missing the whole point. Its not about giving, it's about getting totally trashed! :D
Dj O'Callaghan
Yeah hahah Bah Humbug I like x-mas but I'm between jobs right now so I've got my last 200 quid to spend on presents and stuff. But you know once you get older x-mas gets more boring I find it like this 'WOW you brought me some socks I've always wanted socks' hahaha.

And turkeys minging aswell, but like I find this time of years weird like I say this to my parents if I had my own way I'd buy everyone some brazil nuts, an orange, a lump of coal, and stick that I can hit them with for x-mas. And also them ing carol singers like I tell ya if they come to my front door I'll have a nice pot of boiling water waiting for them lol.

But at the end of the day its cool in way, I enjoy most of it because me and my sis just take the piss out of our parents all the day long hahaha . I'm the worst person to buy presents and I hate wrapping them too. The major thing that sucks is when the grandparents come round my nan 'oh I'm not drunk, we didn't do that in my day, oh don't worry about me, I don't drink' then you find the mountain of sherry bottles near the sofa hahaha they drive me crazy when they come over my grandmother is a complete stirrer sometimes like basicially plays everyone off it makes me laugh lol.

In minstry magazine there was this classic article on a chemical x-mas it was such a wicked article like it had entertaining the grandparents why not rack up a massive line of cocaine in front of them then talk hahaha it was cool.
trancaholic
I hate the fuzz up to and about christmas: Buying gifts that have to be bigger, badder and more expensive than last year, listening to Wham's "Last Christmas" for the 10000th time (no, I actually don't think that number is overestimated) and seeing christmas decorations everywhere from october to december. But, and it's a big "but", I love christmas eve itself.

What I have done, is to tell the ones around me that they shouldn't expet any gifts (well, a very little something for my parents - but nothing for my sister), and that I really would rather have no christmas cards (which anyway are computer generated these days) and then I stay as much away from over decorated shops until the very last days before the 24th. Of course, being a tranceaddict, I also have radios on "off" all the time, listening to CDs instead.
If you do this you're not fed up with christmas before the evening itself, and thus you can relish in the moment itself. I know I won't get any big gifts (as I'm not giving any myself, and the christmas codex requires you to share equal valued gifts) but that really takes some load of your shoulders. You don't have to act surprised and thankfull (even if you hate what was giving to you) because you expect nothing so it can only be better than that.

And you know what: If more people did like that, we wouldn't have our christmasses ruined by all that fake plastic crap that goes by the names of decorations and "lovable christmas hits" (an oxymoron in itself). There would simply not be a market for it. Do it tomorrow: Go into a shop and ask for a demonstration of some really expensive stuff, and when the clerk thinks it's in the bag, tell him/her that you'd rather buy it somewhere else where there's not a santa in the window.
Coup
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade
Gawd I hate Christmas.

It just seems like an excuse to go out and spend a lot of money on thoughtless gifts (of the 3pm December 24th variety) that you can't really afford, in exchange for a load of gifts that you don't really want. What's the point? Wouldn't it make more sense just to go out and buy gifts for ourselves and then try to act suprised when we find them under the tree on the 25th? Now that's the kinda giving I'm willing to get into the spirit of.

And then Christmas lunch? Does anyone actually like turkey? In case you hadn't noticed, it's exactly the same as chicken except drier and about 20 times more expensive. Couldn't we just run down to McDonalds? At least then we could guarantee that everyone could enjoy it. And why is everyone always drunk by 10am?

And the tree? Does a semi-erect piece of plastic crap draped in a half-arsed array of expensive decorative crap really mean anything? And is it just me, or do Christmas carols really blow? Especially after hearing each of them 391 times a day in the fortnight before Christmas? In every single department store? Does anyone else wish Bing Crosby were dead? Oh, wait a sec...

I think it all boils down to the point that everyone these days misses the point of Christmas: to celebrate the birth of Santa.

I think I'm just gonna lock myself in my house and wait until Christmas disappears for another year. Bring on NYE. Now that's a holiday I'm willing to get excited about. :D

i LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok enough of my feelings floating around the forums, i hate christmas. and i think its pathetic how the whole point of christmas its a christian festival, and milions of people dont all goto church, and dont follow the christian tradition, but as soon as one of there festivals comes around, everyone is up with the trees and goes shopping. christmas to many is an excuse as above outlined, to get pissed and buy presents, well makes me sick. think of it this way, are you a muslim? muslims have festivals, where they all get together in the street and dance and stuff, do you join in? no, why not? coz i am not a member of that religion. exactly. so if u are not a loyal christian, what gives u the right to join in with one of there celebrations? this underlines my point that christmas to most is just an excuse to get pissed and spoil people. my famiy no my views and i cant get out of it, ive already stood by while they decorated the house, and if i could i wouldnt buy any presents, but that would just spout a massive riot amunst friends and family, which i cant be arsed with, dont just reply with u miserable bastard, think my point tho, and u'll hopfully u'll see i have one.
BLUEGIRL
i second coup's sentiments :D christmas is totally a corporate holiday thats all about reinforcing the greed aspect of our culture.

i also hate christmas cuz no matter what i say to my parents they always sucker me into participating in some way. i tell them "im not christian. dont get me anything. i dont want anything. im not getting anyone else anything." but it never works... :mad:
Coup
quote:
Originally posted by BLUEGIRL
i tell them "im not christian. dont get me anything. i dont want anything. im not getting anyone else anything." but it never works... :mad:

i would also not buy or want to recive any presents at this time, but if u ask for nowt u'll still get something and if u dont buy anything people will be in an uproar saying wheres my present and it'll just cause massive riots.
JDamage
quote:
Originally posted by barry_sheen
Your missing the whole point. Its not about giving, it's about getting totally trashed! :D

very amusin:eyes: well done

peace
:p

p.s: the best gifts usually cost very little (in terms of money)
Miss Proximus
I have no problem with Xmas at all...the only thing that saddens me is that, when I still lived at home, me and my sis and bro and parents would celebrate "Sinterklaas" which is sort of like Xmas, on the 5th of december. We bought presents for everyone and write poems for that person to read before he/she would unwrap the present. We wouls sing "Sinterklaas-songs" and eat ginger-nut cookies (pepernoten) and chocolateletters :) It was fun.

My BF has always celebrated Xmas wiv his parents coz his mom is German...Weihnachten or so yeah? :)
And they have a big meal firts and then you just give presents, but I found it way more special to write poems, because that at least takes so effort ya know!

Anywayz...this is the second year I have to join in on the Xmas....well it's ok....but no biggie like Sinterklaas was to me...

And I set the rule that my BF can't buy an Xmas tree before the 22nd of December :D cool huh! I don't want no Xmas nonsense in my house too early ;)
trancaholic
quote:
Originally posted by Coup

i would also not buy or want to recive any presents at this time, but if u ask for nowt u'll still get something and if u dont buy anything people will be in an uproar saying wheres my present and it'll just cause massive riots.

If you really don't want the gifts (and don't want to buy any), you ought to seek that confrontation, and get it out in the open. Sure, people may look indignant at you at first (after all, you've just rejected one of the pillars their selfperception is built on), but give it some years, and they will have come to terms with it. Realised that you're not out to hurt them, but just won't adapt their set of values on this particular point. After all, this must be better than hating this time of year for the rest of your life, right?

DJ Fundamental
See, I'm getting annoyed with Christmas already. I've been hearing christmas music in shops for almost two months now and i'm sick of it already... And I still have to do damn christmas shopping. Arg! And I'm damn sure I'll get another years supply of socks from everyone. Yeah, thanks for that... "Hmm, I wonder what this small present is... Wow more socks, just what I wanted". Should have used them to stuff the friggin turkey instead...

New Year is a hell of a lot better, no presents involved - only a big get-together that nobody will be able to remember. Now THAT'S a good party!:D :D
Sir. Lunchalot
quote:
Originally posted by Renegade

Muhahahahaha....this one made me laugh so hard...or is Santa another word for Jesus where you live?

Anyways here`s my opinion on christmas:

I personally love christmas because it is a quiet, peaceful time of the year where I can put away all the stress I have during the year and spend some time with my familiy with whom I spend too little time anyways.

If you and your family only celebrate christmas because you "have" to then you`re missing the point.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement