return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Other > Political Discussion / Debate

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Australian PM : too bad, I ain't helpin you
View this Thread in Original format
shaolin_Z
quote:

PM warns Australians over drugs

Australians who take drugs into Asian countries are "stupid" and should not expect to be bailed out by Canberra, Prime Minister John Howard has said.

Mr Howard's comments come just days after another two Australians were held in Indonesia over trafficking charges.

Twelve young Australians are now facing execution or long jail terms in Indonesia for various drug offences.

Among them are eight men and a woman - known as the Bali nine - held in April for reportedly trafficking heroin.

It's beyond belief that any Australian could be so stupid as to carry drugs into any country in Asia
Australian PM John Howard

Indonesia has increasingly become a transit route for drug traffickers, and courts across the country have toughened up on offenders in recent years, sentencing several foreigners to death.

No mercy

"It's beyond belief that any Australian could be so stupid as to carry drugs into any country in Asia," Mr Howard told Australia's Nine Network television.

"We have told Australians - young Australians, again and again, don't take drugs out of this country, don't take them into Asian countries because you can't expect any mercy.

"We'll keep pushing that message, but people have to understand that if they defy that, and they get caught with drugs, they can't expect the government to bail them out," Mr Howard said.

The prime minister issued the warning after two young Australians were detained in Indonesia over weekend.

Michelle Leslie, 24, was arrested in Bali after police said they found ecstasy pills in her bag, while Graham Clifford was caught in Sumatra for allegedly possessing about 2,000 prescription drugs.

In May, former beauty therapist Schapelle Corby, 20, was jailed for 20 years for smuggling 4.1 kg (9 lb) of marijuana into Bali.

Corby's case has attracted widespread sympathy in Australia, and some people have even said they will not visit Bali in protest at her jailing.

source: BBC News

Does this bother anyone else?
pkcRAISTLIN
bother anyone else how? that canberra is hanging them out to dry? that ppl are getting the death sentence for drug offences?

i feel for the poor fvcks that get caught, but they should know better. feel extra sorry for michelle (and no, not coz she's gorgeous) coz she wasnt trafficking, she got caught in a raid. apparently she had 2 pills in a handbag :rolleyes:

i think the Oz govt should be doing all it can to prevent death sentences. but theres not a lot they can do really.
Lira
quote:
"It's beyond belief that any Australian could be so stupid as to carry drugs into any country in Asia," Mr Howard told Australia's Nine Network television.

"We have told Australians - young Australians, again and again, don't take drugs out of this country, don't take them into Asian countries because you can't expect any mercy."

"We'll keep pushing that message, but people have to understand that if they defy that, and they get caught with drugs, they can't expect the government to bail them out," Mr Howard said.

Doesn't really bother me - if anything, I'd say he's got the correct stance. If they're told not to do something, and fail to comply, they've got to face up to the consequences.
shaolin_Z
with the death penalty?:sadgreen:
DrUg_Tit0
Yeah, I agree that the sentences are definitely too harsh, but ffs, if you know that you can get a severe punishment for such a thing, well either just don't in do it, or go to a different country.
shaolin_Z
quote:
Originally posted by DrUg_Tit0
Yeah, I agree that the sentences are definitely too harsh, but ffs, if you know that you can get a severe punishment for such a thing, well either just don't in do it, or go to a different country.

Well, since you put it that way, I agree with you, one should take responsibility for his/her actions and the predictable consequences of it. But I don't think they deserve to die for it, hence, the PM should do something.
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by DrUg_Tit0

by that rationale, anyone that risks their life using/abusing substances deserves to die :conf: people that OD know what the risks are in their abuse. i dont think that coz someone took the quick and easy path, as vader did, that they should be put to death.

if i were an oz drug courier id be wondering why so many busts have been occuring lately ;) these seizures just punish those that profit least from the traffic. it wont stop some standard of supply coming in.

and i still think chapelle corby is innocent too. she's in prison for having some pot. hehe, a fair bit of pot mind you ;)
Lira
quote:
Originally posted by shaolin_Z
with the death penalty?:sadgreen:

With whatever the country's constitution claims to be the right punishment. I'd be against death penalty in my own country, but I agree with what Drug_Tito said. If it's not my country, I shouldn't expect rules to be seen my way.
George Smiley
Not like I'm against drugs or anything, but if you smuggle drugs into a country where you know what the penalties are, then yes, you are well past "stupid"!

Still, I dont believe in the death penalty so if your country does not as well, then there should be diplomatic pressure used to ensure your nationals do not face that punishment
pkcRAISTLIN
quote:
Originally posted by George Smiley
Still, I dont believe in the death penalty so if your country does not as well, then there should be diplomatic pressure used to ensure your nationals do not face that punishment

i agree.

shaolin_Z
^^ I guess that's the message I was really trying to get across.
Akridrot
If it prevents drugs from getting in, then I can't say I'm against it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement