return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

News Coverage of Hurricane Katrina
View this Thread in Original format
tubularbills
I find it interesting how different news stations have covered Hurricane Katrina.

CNN has been my main source, but they've been doing more coverage than any other news station out there. Most of the time, the coverage hass been actually rather unbaised - having numerous reporters in various locations along the coast. The most common words I've heard included Catostrohic and Extensive Damage.

FOX News on the other hand, hasn't had as much coverage as CNN - often switching to other stories, including Iraq and what's happening over there. FOX News was the first place I heard about the oil rig that got stuck in a bridge. and while they've had numerous reporters - they haven't moved as much to other locations. I just saw the same guy in the same spot as I did this afternoon around 2pm - talking about the same fridge he saw in the street. The most common words I've heard included Death and Killer Storm.

The funniest thing, well....not really funny - more ironic, was just a few minutes ago on FOX News when they said, "Will this Killer Storm come to your neighborhood?" i mean, come on! sometimes FOX News is just a little too paranoid and conservative for me.

I've actually tried to avoid all the politics surrounding this storm. anytime they mention anything about oil or political stuff or anything of that nature, i always change the channel. beacuse i don't care about that as much as i do about how people are doing down there - rescue work, damage and destruction, and of course being a meteorology undergrad, the dynamics behind the whole weather phenomena.

but yeah, just found that interesting
Orbax
Bush made this storm to take our mind off Iraq. No more blood for oil!
tribu
It would definitely be interesting to do a study of transcripts and coutn the word usage.

However, dedicated viewers of either channel will never be swayed from viewing wither channel.
Mebot
Ive just been tuning into the Weather Channel from time to time
tubularbills
quote:
Originally posted by tribu
It would definitely be interesting to do a study of transcripts and coutn the word usage.

However, dedicated viewers of either channel will never be swayed from viewing wither channel.

yes, true

quote:
]Originally posted by Mebot Ive just been tuning into the Weather Channel from time to time

that's what i've done mostly too - except the damn local on the 8s keeps getting in the way, heh.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement