return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
DJ Starter 'kits'
View this Thread in Original format
Aramis
I'm looking at el cheapo bedroom DJ setups with plain CD turntables and a mixer together in a case. It's really just to around with, and since I'll be travelling a fair bit on planes and size and weight is important.

The ones that seem to be widely available second hand are the Pioneer setups with the CDJ100s's and DJM 300 Mixer and the Stantons with the S.250's and the SMX.211 mixer. Numark setups come up occasionally but look like someone dropped a bag of jelly beans on them and they cost a lot. Are there any others worth a look?

Another consideration is what setup most resembles the most common club setups? Are the ones I've mentioned such complete and utter crap that there's no point in buying them?
Vlad
The main question is what are your intentions with the gear. If youre just doing it for yourself, to around and not anything more... buy whatever you want, it really doesnt matter since youre not planning to do anything major.

As for setups that most resemble clubs...

3 Technics SL-1210mk5's
2 Pioneer CDJ-1000mk2's
1 Pioneer DVJ

Mixers (can be either or):
Allen & Heath Xone:646, Xone:92, Xone:62 or v6
Pioneer DJM-500 or DJM-600
Rane MP-2016a w/ Expansion
Urei 1620
Ecler Nuo5 or Nuo4
Omega_Blue
i'd say go for the pioneer cd set, that one sounds pretty good. how much, may i ask?

stanton's i hear are not that good.

and if you're going for TT's, DON'T let everyone on the board try and coax you into getting Tech's. Techs are WAAAAAY to expensive for the average starting dj on a budget (especially if you're just ing around)

pretty much any direct drive turntable will do you just fine.

and say "no" to gemini
Vlad
If you want turntables, I suggest these...

Stanton T-60
Direct Drive Motor
Pitch Range: +/-10%
Motor Torque (kgf/cm): >1.0
Wow & Flutter: 0.015%
Tone Arm: Straight
Speeds (rpm): 33 & 45

They are inexpensive, and will treat you fine while youre trying to figure stuff out.

PS: First use of my spec's. :p
PersianMafia
quote:
Originally posted by Omega_Blue
i'd say go for the pioneer cd set, that one sounds pretty good. how much, may i ask?

stanton's i hear are not that good.

and if you're going for TT's, DON'T let everyone on the board try and coax you into getting Tech's. Techs are WAAAAAY to expensive for the average starting dj on a budget (especially if you're just ing around)

pretty much any direct drive turntable will do you just fine.

and say "no" to gemini

you.
:p

save up for the techs or cdj200,800,1000 depending on your taste.
Vlad
quote:
Originally posted by PersianMafia
you.
:p

save up for the techs or cdj200,800,1000 depending on your taste.

He has no taste, he has no idea what hes doing, hence the help thread. Some of you people need to get this 'supreme being' stick out of your asses and understand that not everyone knows everything about equipment, which is why this section exists.

Also, some people are young, some live off their allowance, get really ty pay and/or dont work which means they cant afford to buy Techs for $300-400 ea. or CDJs which can range from $400 to $1000 ea., and thats not including a mixer.
Omega_Blue
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad
If you want turntables, I suggest these...

Stanton T-60
Direct Drive Motor
Pitch Range: +/-10%
Motor Torque (kgf/cm): >1.0
Wow & Flutter: 0.015%
Tone Arm: Straight
Speeds (rpm): 33 & 45

They are inexpensive, and will treat you fine while youre trying to figure stuff out.

PS: First use of my spec's. :p

lol!

i'd also suggest numark tt200's, they're cheap and get the job done.
Aramis
quote:
He has no taste, he has no idea what hes doing, hence the help thread.

Let's not be cruel :) Regarding my taste, I've always considered Techs to be crap, and while I'm aware that direct drive is the duck's nuts for djing, for home hifi purposes it's laughable. Technics make low end consumer mid-fi. The only consumer brand TT I ever liked was an old Kenwood with a solid marble body. It was still crap, but it was a lot better than most.

My last TT was a Linn with an Alphason extruded titanium tone-arm and a dynavector moving-coil cartridge that had the stylus and shaft machined from a single diamond (D2MR?). It went well with my dual mono valve pre-pre-amp, dual mono valve pre-amp, dual stereo valve power amps and bi-amped ProAc speakers. I had seven power switches to turn on, and if I did it in the wrong order the bass drivers would try to jump out of their cabinets. The only other controls were two volume pots on the pre-amp. Any single component cost far more that the top of the line Techs of the day. Hell, even the solid silver cabling cost more than a Tech.

That system played my first EDM vinyl in 1987 - Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express and Art of Noise's Max Headroom EP, and did justice to my collection of Sheffield Lab vinyl - including Lab 1. Once I was playing Hendrix's version of 'hear my train a comin' and the pizza delivery guy refused to believe that there wasn't a band jamming in the house until he came inside and saw for himself. A friend once refused to believe that the chopper sound on Dark Side of the Moon wasn't real, and even after I turned the volume down he had to go outside for a look.

I've since grown out of vinyl. Vinyl sounds far better than CD's or mp3's, even on crappy Techs with their ty tonearms and rustic cartridges, but I find mp3's and CD's far more convenient, and I won't be going back.

The bottom-end Pioneer and Stanton 'kits' can be picked up here (Australia) second hand for around $500USD odd.

I can pick up a second hand Vestax PCV 002 for $100 Australian pesos ($75USD)- would that be the way to go? I can always pick up a pair of CDTT's later. Does anyone know if the eq goes through the headphones on that model?

I do know a little about audio gear. I just don't know much about DJ gear. Try to be nice :)
basd
quote:
Originally posted by Omega_Blue
and say "no" to gemini

Why exactly?

I've got a pair of PT2400s and I am very happy with them. Plus my PS626i mixer proved good value for money.. OK, it has some drawbacks (EQ does not really kill enough and its EQ curve is somewhat strange), but apart from that, it still works pretty fine here after almost three years..
Street_Soldier
stanton cd players arent all that bad(as long as its one of the new ones) the top of hte line Stanton CD player has more functions than the pionner 1000. i think it plays mp3s too. The best part is its only a fraction of the price. When looking for a cd player the most important feature i would say is the pitch make sure it reads to the hundreds place (digital pitch) and that is has vinyl mode. Vinyl Mode lets you scratch and pretty much use a cd like a record. If you really want a pioneer one becasue all the clubs have them look into Denon too beacsue those are equally as good and will also cost you an arm. Pioneer cd players are good but i think the 1000 and 1000mk2 are the most over priced thing out there. Get an 800 becasue its like half the price and will do 95% of the things the 1000 does.

If you go with Pioneer get the CDJ 800 and DJM 300 small and the best bang for hte money.

If you go with turntables go with the Technics. They are so so so much better than everything else. The resale on them is like close to 100%. If you get anything else besides a tech you will have a hard time trying to resale it. If you are on a budget go on ebay look for a tech that is missing a few things but it fix it up and you will save lots!

harriz
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad
He has no taste, he has no idea what hes doing, hence the help thread. Some of you people need to get this 'supreme being' stick out of your asses and understand that not everyone knows everything about equipment, which is why this section exists.

Also, some people are young, some live off their allowance, get really ty pay and/or dont work which means they cant afford to buy Techs for $300-400 ea. or CDJs which can range from $400 to $1000 ea., and thats not including a mixer.

BEST IN REPLY EVER!!! :) :)
Vlad
quote:
Originally posted by Aramis
Let's not be cruel :)

I know it was a bit harsh, sorry, I said that for lack of better phrasing. :p

If you could tell us your budget, we could help you choose a setup.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement