return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

M44G and Tracking Force Issues
View this Thread in Original format
m2j
Hey guys,

I bought a pair of Shure M44G's a few days ago, and on the website and instruction manual it says the carts have a "typical tracking force" of 1.5 grams.

Yet when I installed the M44G, I had to put at least 3 grams of weight on just to have it barely balance. Right now the weight from the Counter Weight is about 4 grams, since thats where i got the greatest sound quality.

Am I putting the Counter Weight on incorrectly? Do I start measuring the amount of weight I put on from right when the Counte Weight catchs the groove? Could the extra weight be from my headshell? (Stanton Headshell)

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
Zild
You have to break them in for 2 weeks before they work right.

What do you mean you had to put 3 grams on to barely balance? The balance point is supposed to be your 0 mark. When it balances right above the record twist it to 0(the black part w/the markings, not the whole counterweight) then add 1.5-2g of force after that. Let me know how it works out.
m2j
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
You have to break them in for 2 weeks before they work right.

What do you mean you had to put 3 grams on to barely balance? The balance point is supposed to be your 0 mark. When it balances right above the record twist it to 0(the black part w/the markings, not the whole counterweight) then add 1.5-2g of force after that. Let me know how it works out.

aaahhhhh, so I start measuring the amount of tracking I put on when the tonearm starts to balance? not from the moment the counter weight twists on to the tonearm?

that makes sense... thanks for your help man. :D
DJ Lucas
quote:
Originally posted by m2j
aaahhhhh, so I start measuring the amount of tracking I put on when the tonearm starts to balance? not from the moment the counter weight twists on to the tonearm?

that makes sense... thanks for your help man. :D

yeah, the little counterweight that goes on the cart confused me for awhile too ;)
m2j
hey guys,

I have some more questions:

do I have to use the 4 wires provided in the package? does it matter if I re-use the wires that were apart of my stanton headshell + cart combo? This won't effect the quality right?

Thank you.
Tony Morello
they give you what you need to do the job, what you actually do with it is up to you
MindsDesire
It won't affect the quality as long as the wires aren't worn out or anything. I'm still using the original wires that came with my Techs headshells.
DJ 00 Tommy
when i first baught my m44gs i was realy worried they where stuffed coz one took awhile longer to break in than the other. I also need to loosen up my tonearm. Its nice when everything finnaly works :D
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement