return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
the word "remix"
View this Thread in Original format
ilovemusic
Hi
If I remove some seconds of a track or/and adding another sound on it, is that considered as remix?

sorry for my bad english...
sleepydragon
probably thats all most producers do anyway
Xtracktor
I'd call that an edit...unless your pvd :p
veezee
Micheal Jatas could answer for you.. but i dont think he posts here. lol

Jay
Aquarian
no, that's considered cutting a few seconds and adding a sound over it.
ilovemusic
ok, anyway.. how can i remix a song? (a website would be great..) how do the producers do? i mean, do they use the mp3-file or do they ask the author/producer for the wave-file? (wave-file because it won't lose quality..)
Nemesis44
A lot of producers (myself included) will often either obtain midi files and/or sound bites from the track and work with that.

You should probably visit the production forum.

But what you are doing is basically doing a re-edit. Remix does vary according to different producers but it often involves a lot more than just cutting something out.

You also need some pretty good knowledge on the subject if you are going to do it well. Takes a few years to get but go for it as it's a lot of fun and it will also take your DJing and put it on it's head in terms of what you see, hear and how you interact with it.

Cheers
Nem
Dj_Es-Dva
id call what your doing a re-work :rolleyes:

nemesis is right, give remixing from midi a go. ive almost finished my first full remix.
amartinathome
It's an edit.

Like when they put a weird sound in over a swear word in a song and call it 'radio edit'.
Aquarian
When you record a track, wether it be electronic or accoustic, you'll record all your seperate elements on different 'tracks' than can be played individually. When you finalize your production, you put all of these elements together and arrange them in a certain way - this is called 'mixing'. The term 'remixing' essentially means taking those same seperate elements and mixing them in a different fashion. You can sample the original (sampling means cutting out parts of the recording and using them for playback in a new one), but typically, you'll have to redesign alot of those elements from scratch, and in the process give them your distinct sound.

Another way of putting it would be that remixing a track is like producing something you didn't compose.

BTF productions
IMO, remixing is just like producing, except you are making a track based on someone else's ideas, IE. melody, bassline, percussion.
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Originally posted by BTF productions
IMO, remixing is just like producing, except you are making a track based on someone else's ideas, IE. melody, bassline, percussion.

Wow, really?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement