return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Sleep Paralysis?!
View this Thread in Original format
DjLiMZ.
Ok well i'm sure a good few of u have experienced this and until recently i myself have also experienced this strange phenomenon.

It began when i was on holiday in tenerife a few week back i fell asleep on the couch laid on my back with my legs crossed and my arms folded remember being in the process of waking up and felt like i was being levitated and had a wierd few seconds of eye spasms. After that died down i couldnt move or speak for good few secs it really freaked me out but thought nothing of it.

Now the present day i went to sleep in the exact same position woke up and experienced the same feeling, so i dropped of to sleep again in the same position woke a few mins later it happened again coincidence? so i went to sleep again the same position only this time i heard a strange noise which made me freeze up. At this time i didnt wanna go back to sleep lol so i stayed awake anyone else found that by sleeping in certain positions u experience this kind of thing.?
DOOMBOT
It happens to me all of the time. Some cases are more extreme then others. Sometimes I will hear voices or sense an evil presence in the room with me. Last week I was sleeping at my girls college and I woke up in the middle of the night and it happened. I had my arms around her but I was looking towards the edge of the bed to the closet. It was open so it had a darker view. I made out what appeared to be an alien or something moving around in its general direction but closer to me. I held my breathe like I always do till I almost pass out, or feel like I will pass out... and then I "woke up".
kadomony
ya, the levitation thing happens to me a lot, also the sound. more of a sharp falling feeling though. havent experienced the paralysis though.

the levitating feeling comes from being still in one position for a while. your body has no comparison of different changes in the force of gravity over time when this happens.

the sound is probably a random part of your brain firing as it prepares to shut down for sleep.

the falling is the same thing, random signals being interpreted.

the fear? same. as the concious thought of the brain shuts down, the center part is the only part fully active. this is where the fight or flight response lies. so any signal passing thru here might yield a fear reaction.

the paralysis is probably that your body takes a while to come out of sleep state, and requires more time to activate your muscles again.
Boomer187
quote:
Originally posted by kadomony
ya, the levitation thing happens to me a lot, also the sound. more of a sharp falling feeling though. havent experienced the paralysis though.

the levitating feeling comes from being still in one position for a while. your body has no comparison of different changes in the force of gravity over time when this happens.

the sound is probably a random part of your brain firing as it prepares to shut down for sleep.

the falling is the same thing, random signals being interpreted.

the fear? same. as the concious thought of the brain shuts down, the center part is the only part fully active. this is where the fight or flight response lies. so any signal passing thru here might yield a fear reaction.

the paralysis is probably that your body takes a while to come out of sleep state, and requires more time to activate your muscles again.

nice guess, partially right.

there are 5 stages o sleep, once you fall asleep your brain activity decreases, level 1 - 4, then it increases in activity by going from level 3 to 2, then instead of going to level 1 it jumps to level 5...which is REM sleep.

Rem sleep is crazy cause your entire brain is active, much like it is when your awake, but your unconscious. Also during REM all of your major muscles are paralyzed. its not a wierd thing, its just how it is. So when you suddenly wake up from rem, you could still be paralyzed. Your brain is also going crazy with activity which can cause auditory or visual hallucinations.

;)
Vlad
I always get it in my right arm. Ill wake up and I literally cant move it, I pinch the out of it, bite it as hard as I can without being a cannibal... and I dont feel for the first 30-45 secs. Its really really really ing weird.
Zenchowdah
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad
I always get it in my right arm. Ill wake up and I literally cant move it, I pinch the out of it, bite it as hard as I can without being a cannibal... and I dont feel for the first 30-45 secs. Its really really really ing weird.

thats just because you cut off blood supply or pinch a nerve weird while you sleep, if you fall asleep upside down vampire position, like i usually do (arms crossed over chest, laying on chest) then both your arms will be dead when you wake up.
Boomer187
quote:
Originally posted by Zenchowdah
thats just because you cut off blood supply or pinch a nerve weird while you sleep, if you fall asleep upside down vampire position, like i usually do (arms crossed over chest, laying on chest) then both your arms will be dead when you wake up.

yea I sleep on my stomach with one arm going across my body, it always falls asleep. Its fun hitting it on the wall cause you don't feel it.
nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
nice guess, partially right.

there are 5 stages o sleep, once you fall asleep your brain activity decreases, level 1 - 4, then it increases in activity by going from level 3 to 2, then instead of going to level 1 it jumps to level 5...which is REM sleep.

Rem sleep is crazy cause your entire brain is active, much like it is when your awake, but your unconscious. Also during REM all of your major muscles are paralyzed. its not a wierd thing, its just how it is. So when you suddenly wake up from rem, you could still be paralyzed. Your brain is also going crazy with activity which can cause auditory or visual hallucinations.

;)
but wtf? how come its never happened to me. i want to feel it
igottaknow
Nothing to get worked up about either the couch is haunted or you're in the early stages of schizophrenia. Just relax and go with it.
Zenchowdah
quote:
Originally posted by Boomer187
yea I sleep on my stomach with one arm going across my body, it always falls asleep. Its fun hitting it on the wall cause you don't feel it.

i like when it happens to my legs, and i try to walk. i feel like the baby deer on the discovery channel.

Boomer187
quote:
Originally posted by nchs09
but wtf? how come its never happened to me. i want to feel it

it only happened to me once when I woke up and was still paralyzed, it felt like someone was sitting on my bed. Crazy stuff :wtf:
LuNaSeA
quote:
Originally posted by Zenchowdah
i like when it happens to my legs, and i try to walk. i feel like the baby deer on the discovery channel.

:stongue: :stongue:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement