return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

need help beatmatching!
View this Thread in Original format
trancelova
I have turntables and a mixer, and am having trouble sometimes beatmatching. Is there any paticular techniques that are used? I try to do different things, but sometimes it just doesn't work. Suggestions?
pkcRAISTLIN
since youre new ill be gentle.

first off

www.recess.co.uk

try there.

but the only real answer (and youre gonna hate it) is PRACTICE. its really that simple. it might seem impossible right now but thats coz you havent tried very hard or for very long.

as an aside, this is the largest edm site in the world, do you really think youre the first person to want help with beatmatching? use the search option, thats what its there for ;)
Basstard
oh u beat me to it!

tho i was gonna be much much meaner :whip:

;)
A.J.
I am only learning to beatmatch now too, but I have read a lot about "learning to DJ" on the internet :p

One of the best tips that I have read is to be gentle when adjusting the pitch and lining up the beats.

If the beats are almost matched or they are matched, and then they slowly start to drift, try and use just a tiny little push/tap with the pitch slider instead of a big change. A big problem I found when I first started is that i kept making changes that were too big so I would be going back and forth all the time. SMALL CHANGES!

I prefer to use the pitch slider mainly as I find that I am too clumsy and innacurate when touching the platter, but you can touch the platter with your hands as well to make adjustments as well.

This is how i visualise the way to beatmatch:

(1) You start off by rocking the incoming record back and forth on the first beat in time with the record playing, and then you let it go so that it's (hopefully) running at the same time as the record playing:

(2) Very quickly, the beats will start to trainwreck because the pitch is not matched! Listen carefully, and try and see whether you need to increase the pitch of the cued record, or slow it down. At first, you will have to use trial-and-error, but after a while you should be able to automatically hear whether it is too fast or too slow. Adjust the pitch accordingly.

(3) EXAMPLE: Need to increase the pitch of the the cued record. Slide the pitch slider up. The X represents the "beatmatch" :p Do a fairly big increase to start.

|----->---------->--------- X ------->-------->------------>|

(4) Usually, you won't change the pitch perfectly at first. So decrease the pitch, but move it to a spot a little bit less than where you started the first time:

|<------<-------<---- X ----<----<------<-----|

(5) Keep swinging the pitch back and forth, making smaller changes each time until eventually you get very close to matching the beats:

|<----------------- X -------------------->|

|<------------- X ------------->|

|<----- X ------->|

|<-- X -->|

(6) Once you are pretty close, make VERY small changes to the pitch by just tapping the pitch slider or being VERY gentle. Hopefully, you should be able to match the beats!

|X|

(7) If the beat starts to slowly drift after you have them beatmatched, try to re-allign it by tapping the pitch slider very gently, or making a very gentle nudge on the platter. SMALL CHANGES!

Err, hopefully that kind make sense, it makes sense to me :wtf: If you can just picture that diagram as the pitch slider or just simply the "pitch", and the X as the CORRECT pitch when the records are beatmatched, than maybe you can visualise it.

The way I beatmatch, I tend to use the pitch slider to do the work with me, rather than always touching the platter and trying to slow down or increase the record spinning, while having to change the pitch at the same time..........
bokus
Use the 2 of the same vinyl technique to understand what 2 synched beats sound like helped me alot.
Basstard
boy AJ your status has been "Learning to Beatmatch" for an awfully long time ;)
kr00t0n
My technique:

Cue the new track, ensuring that it is definitely faster than the track playing.

Gradually slow it down with the pitch slider whilst slowing it down with your finger brushing the platter.

As you do this, the frequency in which you will need to brush the platter to keep it in sync will reduce.

Eventually, you will have gotten the pitch slider to a point where the new track will only start to slip out of sync after a good 30 seconds or so, and I like to keep it this way, knowing that the new track is slightly faster than the track playing, so when it does start slipping, I already know I only need to brush the platter lightly to get it in sync again.

This was developed over 5 years mind

:)
s3nate
Ima try that kr00t0n...

My technique right now is just speeding up or slowing down the platter and then changing the pitch.
saryn
you can make large changes in pitch. but only if you know it needs it. only time i think you would need to is if the last track on that table was slower then the tempo your at (which means it would have to be made faster with pitch) and then the next is faster (which means you would make it slower with the pitch) it could come to a what, 2-4%? fairly significant i think.
Zild
Just keep at it. It's like riding a bike. It's easy for at first for some reason you keep falling over, then one day you're think damn this is so easy why did I ever fall down in the first place.

Try not to touch the platter when you have the channel fader open other than that go keep practicing.

discobiscuit
www.recess.co.uk wow that is a very helpful site for beginners.. and i am one
s3nate
quote:
Originally posted by Zild
Just keep at it. It's like riding a bike. It's easy for at first for some reason you keep falling over, then one day you're think damn this is so easy why did I ever fall down in the first place.

Then later on you will be going off jumps (eq'ing) then learning tricks (phrase matching) then going off really really big jumps (harmonix mixing) then the rest is all about practicing and improving style and making up neat tricks.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement