return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

How to use an MP3 as a ringtone?
View this Thread in Original format
keithos27
This doesn't exactly have much to do with DJing, but I figured most of us in here know a good deal about Sound Forge. I have Sound Forge and was wondering if I could use that program to take a 320 KBPS MP3 and scale it down to fit on my cell phone so that I could use that MP3 as a ring tone. Any ideas? I really don't use Sound Forge for anything other than recording my sets (overkill, I know).

Thanks,
Keith
Orbital32
i don't use soundforge.. but here's the basic. Use to cut the seconds that you want from the song. Save it in the lowest mp3 kilobit that your will handle. It's trial and error. I think my motorola v600 does 32kbit.
SpecRadio
quote:
Originally posted by Orbital32
i don't use soundforge.. but here's the basic. Use to cut the seconds that you want from the song. Save it in the lowest mp3 kilobit that your will handle. It's trial and error. I think my motorola v600 does 32kbit.

I don't know about your v600, but mine does 192kbps and I havn't tried anything higher. :wtf:

And the phone has what..8mb space...that's enough to hold a full 128kbps song :D
Freak
My phone has a 32mb card- I put the card into the slot on my pc, drag and drop.
have a couple of 320k/s mp3s on there- not that i have them set as a ring tone.......
Luke Cartwright
quote:
Originally posted by keithos27
This doesn't exactly have much to do with DJing, but I figured most of us in here know a good deal about Sound Forge. I have Sound Forge and was wondering if I could use that program to take a 320 KBPS MP3 and scale it down to fit on my cell phone so that I could use that MP3 as a ring tone. Any ideas? I really don't use Sound Forge for anything other than recording my sets (overkill, I know).

Thanks,
Keith

Highlight the part of the track that you want to use then cut the selected area using edit then cut, open a new blank file then edit and paste. Then click file save as and select mp3 in the options below the file name and then below that choose the quality you want to have it at.

Save the file and transfer to your phone job done.

Don't save changes to the original file though as you will have a large chunk of the tune missing next time you play it.
keithos27
^didn't realize it would be that simple... i thought i'd have to run some crazy filter through it or something because i was essentially have an mp3 play out of a dinky cell phone speaker.

will give that a shot tonight, thanks. :)
Magnus
I've got the Motorola V551 here and I just take an MP3 and save it at an average quality, put it on the phone, and it plays fine. I think it can play for 24 seconds max.
miamitranceman
I use something simple like mp3 cutter joiner. Cut the section of the track I want out, and Bluetooth it to my phone. My RAZR can go to 192. It wont accept anything higher.

Current Ringtone: Mark Otten - So Serene :toothless
s3nate
Use DbPowerAmp, super easy to use and excellent quality. It can convert almost any music file to another and change kbps (even VBR)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement