return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Mixer to Sound Forge trouble...
View this Thread in Original format
zizack
I just had my computer wiped out and reinstalled Windows and all my audio programs on it. I fired up Sound Forge yesterday to record a mix and for some reason the decibel level is maxing out, even if I have the gains on my mixer down as far as -10 decibels. The connection from my mixer to the computer is going to the back of my computer (the mic in connection is the only one that reads any sound for some reason.) Anyone know what the problem could be?

Somethign that could be related possibly...my mixer's master decibel meter is not moving at all, no matter how high the gains on the channels are. (Allen and Heath Xone 92 Mixer)
SoZo
Wen u install windows and sound drivers the line in is mute by default. click on the speaker icon next to the date or go to volume control and unmute the line input.mic and line dont have the same voltage so use the line...
zizack
I opened my volume controls and the only things shown are
Master Volume
Wave
SW Synth
CD Player

and all are unmuted/ Can't see a line in though...
SoZo
go to options in the top right and select properties then select line in the list of options
zizack
got it! Thanks.
SoZo
Is it working now?, and are your recordings clear now.
brinboston
hey everyone.... i didn't want to post a new thread but i have a similar problem as well with sound forge.

i have an m-audio audiophile.... i read somewhere that to get the cleanest recording i should just hook up my TT straight to the soundcard (i have a TTX so i have a line output) so there is less sound degradation and/or 'coloring' of audio by the mixer. anyways, for whatever reason when i click 'record' the levels will max out, even with no signal going through.... this happens regardless of whether i am running the line straight from TT or from mixer. i was just wondering if this could be due to a ground loop? (my laptop and soundcard are plugged into a different electrical outlet than my TT.)

also, because i am recording straight from TT, i have no way of adjusting the input gain and my audiophile does not have an input control as well, only output. is there anyway i can adjust the gain within sound forge (or audacity)? or should i just record regardless of the levels (as long as it doesn't clip) and then normalize afterwards?

thanks,
- brian
zizack
quote:
Originally posted by SoZo
Is it working now?, and are your recordings clear now.

working great. Thanks again.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement