return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
question for those of you who made the transition from vinyl to CDs
View this Thread in Original format
hiram
im guessing eventually everyone switches to CDs or will be forced to in the future. those of you who have switched over how did you do it? did you switch over all in one shot or did you use both Cds and vinyl together? and how the hell did you save up for those CDJs while still buying new vinyl?!
sr126
i use both cd's and vinyl together.

how did i do it? i put my life hold, and tried to everything i could to save money... and i mean everything... from not on spending money on lunch at work, (erm... i mean fasting during the day...) and stripping my car to reduce weight in order to save gas. i even gave the girl i was going out w/at the time the boot.

i haven't spent anywhere near the amount of money i used to on music.

it's been worth it. i just wish i had more cash to spend on music (at the very least) while buying equipment... i got bit by G.A.S pretty hard this time around. (Gear Aquisition Syndrome)
sr126
the worst part is... i thought i would be done now. but i was wrong, now i want 2 more m5g's and more 2 cd players. (or maybe a second dual deck) that's on top of the fact that want to buy a couple of keybords, and modules...

hiram
lol girls are expensive, and almost never approve of their b/f being a DJ
Spirit5
I'm still learning with CDJs but to find it easier than Vinyl and prefer handling CDs to handling vinyl which gets all smudged up from handling it, attracts lots of dust and is $$. So nice to get WAV files now too, sound just as good, if not better than vinyl. Like vinyl without all the crackling and popping basically. CDs are definitely the future.
alligator
quote:
Originally posted by hiram
lol girls are expensive, and almost never approve of their b/f being a DJ

but a girl's reason for not having their bf be a dj is because they get action and are popular with other girls. fear of competition!...
Zild
I use both now. I don't even have a way to play CDs at home, so I use them strictly at gigs.
sr126
the main thing i don't liike about cd's is that i'm not able to skip thru songs like i can on vinyl. i have to set there and turn the wheel, and wait.

not only that... you can't visually cue breakdowns, or other parts of a song. you have to have a good idea what time it is on a cd player.

maybe there are functions for that too, i don't know, i still haven't read my manual.

i DO LOVE the pitch up/down buttons on my cd player, it allows me to kick the pitch up or down ever so slightly w/out having to use the pitch slider, and risk loosing my sweet spot on the slider.

i use the reset button and the +8/+16 buttons on the m5g to do the same thing, but it's better on the cd player.
hiram
quote:
Originally posted by alligator
but a girl's reason for not having their bf be a dj is because they get action and are popular with other girls. fear of competition!...

exactly.. but its a beautiful thing =)
alligator
quote:
Originally posted by sr126
the main thing i don't liike about cd's is that i'm not able to skip thru songs like i can on vinyl. i have to set there and turn the wheel, and wait.

not only that... you can't visually cue breakdowns, or other parts of a song. you have to have a good idea what time it is on a cd player.

maybe there are functions for that too, i don't know, i still haven't read my manual.

i DO LOVE the pitch up/down buttons on my cd player, it allows me to kick the pitch up or down ever so slightly w/out having to use the pitch slider, and risk loosing my sweet spot on the slider.

i use the reset button and the +8/+16 buttons on the m5g to do the same thing, but it's better on the cd player.

what cd players have you used? they have cue buttons, the wheel for jogging through a song and skip phrase by phrase. if you're using denon or pioneer cdj (800 or 1000mkII) it's very easy to cue and search through a song. you can set your cue and then listen to the song a bit more to get an idea about it...but when it comes time to mix it in...it's a button away from the cue point.

it's faster to mix with cd players due to the little gaggets that it presents. they also give more variety and numerous tricks :).

Tony Morello
quote:
Originally posted by alligator

dating a girl while being a working dj sucks, they never want to come out because unfortunately, to her not to me, part of being a working dj involves "working the room"

you shake hands, talk to the guys, flirt wtih the girls

that old song and dance...

unfortunately, to me this time, girlfriends don't like the whole flirting/talking to the female species all that much... especially big boobed blonde females... whole other story

as for the question, i play both cds and vinyl right now, spend most on cds, a little on wax here and there
Tegu
i can't wait to get a pair of cdj 1000's but gotta save up some $ first.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement