return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Trance mixer , house mixer
View this Thread in Original format
SoZo
I am looking to buy my first mixer, and ppl ask me if I want a 19" for trance or a 10" for house or hip hop. I mix trance but my $$ lets my buy a 3 or 2 ch 10" mixer.I will be mixing from 2 cdplayers and sometimes 2 tt's , I can hook my tt's and cd's to the 2 chanels using the line and phono switch.

so now I want to know wy do you need a 19" mixer for trance.
Liam
quote:
Originally posted by SoZo
I am looking to buy my first mixer, and ppl ask me if I want a 19" for trance or a 10" for house or hip hop. I mix trance but my $$ lets my buy a 3 or 2 ch 10" mixer.I will be mixing from 2 cdplayers and sometimes 2 tt's , I can hook my tt's and cd's to the 2 chanels using the line and phono switch.

so now I want to know wy do you need a 19" mixer for trance.

physical size of a mixer doesn't make it good for any particular genre of music in my opinion. any mixer with 3 eq's, 2 channel faders, a cross fader and decent cuing features should be enough to mix most music.
Vero
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
physical size of a mixer doesn't make it good for any particular genre of music in my opinion. any mixer with 3 eq's, 2 channel faders, a cross fader and decent cuing features should be enough to mix most music.

+1
r5a
Size dosn't matter, in this case anyways. :P
Trogdor
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Yeah. Who are these people telling you that a 19" mixer is better for Trance? That's ridiculous. It depends on your style, not what type of music you play. If long, smooth mixes are your thing (Trance or House), then yeah, maybe you should consider an old-school rotary. But if you like cuts or quick mixes, then something with a crossfader and linear faders would probably suit you better. It all boils down to preference, and what YOU need.
sr126
what trogdor said.

just buy something that does what ever you need it to do, so you can do it.

just make a list of the features you're looking for/need, and start narrowing it down from there.

how many channels do you need?

do you need a mixer w/eq kills?

do you need to have trim/gain control in addition to channel slider?

what kind of mixing do you want to do? (to determine the size and curve of the faders) long smooth ones? or just quick cuts?

is rotary something you want to experiment with?

do you mix in the middle of night? cranking your sound system might be a bad idea, so you may want to check out a mixer w/extensive headphone monitoring controls so you can hear yourself mix in the headphones.

so on, and so on...

this is pretty important. buy something that fits your needs, so you can really enjoy mixing. you don't go through the hassel of returning mixers, or dealing w/something that doesn't do all the things you need it to. buy it once, and buy it right.
SoZo
I am thinking of the Gemini fx7000 or Numark DM3050 or Numark DXM06 Mixer, If I want a smooth fader for smooth mixing not a cut then with one would be best. keep in mind I can only spend about $250 or R2000
sr126
looks like both numark mixer have an adjustable crossfader.
the gemini has a switch, so it's probably a 'this or that' kind of deal.

at least to me, both brands are pretty equal.
i would ask santa for a vestax pmc500/cm-x/r-1/r-2, a rane 2016, or a xone:92 rotary.

if santa doesn't come thru, then i'd probably go for the numark dxm06. it looks like it the most stuff to play with.
DJ 00 Tommy
There are many threads about the numark dxm06 mixers.
Infact all the mixers listed in this thread have countless posts about them.

Search and ye shall findeth.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement