return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal

Pages: [1] 2 
Going from Ottawa to Montreal to party? Or vice versa?
View this Thread in Original format
Spin Laden
Going to Montreal from Ottawa to party? Or the other way around? Tell us about your experiences, what you've noticed about the cities, its clubs, its people, etc.

Believe it or not, we get some serious talent here too.. AVB, Sander, Steve Lawler and so on. For example, Lawler played at Capital City Music Hall on NYE (used to be a good sized club like the cheezy Dome a few years back) before he went to Celebration that same night.
Tag
I have yet to experience what ottawa has to offer, but i live here now. I just drive back to montreal to party. GOOO MTL
ninjahola
quote:
Originally posted by Spin Laden
Going to Montreal from Ottawa to party? Or the other way around? Tell us about your experiences, what you've noticed about the cities, its clubs, its people, etc.

Believe it or not, we get some serious talent here too.. AVB, Sander, Steve Lawler and so on. For example, Lawler played at Capital City Music Hall on NYE (used to be a good sized club like the cheezy Dome a few years back) before he went to Celebration that same night.

I lived in Ottawa for a little over three years....There is some great local talent...

Brad Copeland
Trevor Walker
Balu
Dusty
To name a FEW

Most of these Djs have come to mtl to spin...I know Trevor was here for a picnic Electronic this summer it was great to see him, super nice guy...Brad had a short lived residency @ Stereo here in Mtl..before taking off to Tour with Sandra Collins and the Kinetic crew...
Both citites are extrememely different vibe wise..Ottawa is much smaller..and fewer afterhours, If I"m correct I think Surface is still the only one thats open past 5 am. Montreals after go until at least 10-11 am and some way later..Montreal has HUGE events yearly Cream/Swirl/Oasis/Celebration/Bal en Blanc/Black and Blue whereas Ottawa has none, expect for Canada day..Different laws. As far as the talent here in Montreal...We'll its far better. Only because we have 5 or 6 times the amount of people than in Ottawa, probably more, so many more bars, many more DJs etc. etc. Its just statistics.
As for the international talent Ottawa isn't far behind, except far less gigs monthly, and different venues..If I remember Danny Howells played Helsinki (the old Well) a venue so small it would have been amazing, much more intimate.
But sadly, Ottawa has lost its only "Classic" club, Atomic. Much like Sona this place was much more a state of mind, friendlier, much more homey...Again sadly this "state of mind" and "Classic" lifestyle/club just doesn't exist anymore.....
ALl in all I like Ottawa, after all it was my home for many years..also where I began to DJ, so it will always be a fun place to visit and catch various djs when they are in town.
Oneeleven
I have seen some big name DJ's here in Ottawa and the experiences have been second to none. To catch them in such intimate settings is truly a treat (Armin VB @ Surface and Vibe [old Atomic] and Ferry Corsten at Helsinki to name a few). I feel really lucky to have these memories. Ottawa people are pretty friendly.

Montreal is still my favorite if I had to choose ( and I haven't even moved there yet! :D ) The vibe is warm and open. No one looks at you funny if you are say, in the Metro at 10am with your mates dressed in head-to-toe white. The musical talent that Montreal attracts, and is home to is unbelievable. I have loved it every time I have taken the trip. Can't wait to move!
Tag
Im so moving back home
malek
quote:
Originally posted by Tag
Im so moving back home

karachi, pakistan?
Tag
I heard Mecca is where it's at right now.
malek
quote:
Originally posted by Tag
I heard Mecca is where it's at right now.

if you want to be squashed like a bug:nervous:
Spin Laden
Excellent review Ninja. Yeah, we've had some great djs and it's good to see Ottawa's exporting more talent beyond Alanis Morrisette and Massari :D

Gotta love the proximity to best EDM scene in North America, however. I have Vancouver peeps paying $500-600 airfare just to go to Bal en Blanc, while I just pay the $53 Greyhound with no 'candy searching' involved :D
fastmp3
guys, no making fun of that please

FunKenLouis
quote:
Originally posted by fastmp3
guys, no making fun of that please

+ 1 .... show some respect

by the way... big party at HELSINKI, Ottawa

Miguel Graca & King Louis

Saturday Febuary 11th at Helsinki

ARIA night in Ottawa

ill post the flyer soon