return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Beat Counters
View this Thread in Original format
discitelli
It has come to my attension that the more clubs/raves i go to the more and more dj's i have spotted using mixers with beat counters, im a little confused and upset, isn't that besides the point of the dj? isn't he/she ment to find the beat and cue it at the right point imanually , just asking everyone else's opinions on the subject cause im buying some gear soon and will probably get a mixer with BC's purely because im seeing everyone else use them

is this right

im new to the site so sorry if this subject has already been gone through a million times

thanks..........
{b.s.e.}
*shrug*
i don't really mind. i'm sure they'd be fine without it anyways.. just makes it a little easier for the dj and a better set for the crowd.
ABTsportsline
Actually to me using beat counters are more difficult. I don't like them, they give you a false sense of security. Kind of like radar detectors in the car. I don't use them. I dunno, just after learning to spin without them, i find it harder to use them. Just like i don't like 1200's.

But, if you are going to learn, i guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to get them.... just try not to get used to them, b/c most clubs don't have them.

-ABT-
RavingLunatic
you don't like 1200s? why not? they are the best are they not?

as for beatcounters..

well, I don't mind.. they don't work all that well anyway..
A DJs worth is not in his ability to get the pitch right. it's about playing the right songs, mixing in the right place, and setting the volume and EQs right. getting the speed right is only a task that must be performed first.

if a beatcounter makes the DJs job a little easier, than so be it.
but in reality it doesn't make it any easier, those things are misleading, and you better not rely on them.

but I do want the mixer in my sig, it has a beatcounter, and you can sync the effects to the beat.. like make it autopan left and right times per beat and stuff.. for that they are cool.
Lost
the question is what mixer do you want? a lot of clubs/raves may use the higher end mixers which already have built-in bpm counters like raving lunatic's pioneer 600. if you don't need one then don't go out and spend the extra cash to get one. bpm counters like others have said are unreliable. sure they help you out but what if you spin a track that has breakbeat or more than just a simple 1 2 3 4 type bass. it will definitely throw you off. it's best to train your ears and although bpm counters may help you in that just be sure you don't become reliant on them cuz as abt said...what if you go to a club to spin without bpm counters. then what. a lot of dj's don't use bpm counters and just because they are part of the mixer does not mean that they are used. i saw christopher lawrence spin at montage in san diego and i had the fortunate vantage point of looking over him at an angle so i could watch him mix. he did have the bpm counters on the pioneer mixer but he did not even look at them. he was always looking out at the crowd and gauging them as any good dj should do. hope this helps with your decision.

lost
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement