return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Kill Switches?
View this Thread in Original format
LinX
so im new to this whole thing i just noticed that my kill switches high, med, low simply bring the ranges from normal level (or where ever it was previoulsy set) straight to zero.. can someone give me pointers as to where this would play into mixing or where one would use them?? it prob sounds dumb im sure but my mixer's got them along with prob everyone out on the market so i was just wondering.
mikefasssy
say you want to totally switch basslines in a mix..instead of slamming the respective knobs (on a lot of mixers the lowest point on the knob isn't even a full cut hence kill switches) just flip the respective switches, saves a few milliseconds.

fun to have, not a lot of mixers have them which kind of sucks if you get used to using them a lot (cough me cough).
Vero
my PCV-275 the kill switches take the EQ down to about having the nob turned all the way down. for mine the only way to get a "true" kill is to hit the switch and crank the EQ to full neg. i kinda like that though. i can flip a switch and still keep a little bit of the low-mid while im mixing into something else.

just play with em in a mix, some people dont like to use em. i think they are fun.
n3lly
quote:
Originally posted by Vero
my PCV-275 the kill switches take the EQ down to about having the nob turned all the way down. for mine the only way to get a "true" kill is to hit the switch and crank the EQ to full neg. i kinda like that though. i can flip a switch and still keep a little bit of the low-mid while im mixing into something else.

just play with em in a mix, some people dont like to use em. i think they are fun.

lol.. i have the same mixer and thought exactly the same as yourself there! Love the kill switches.. it's a pity though that the center channel doesn't have any kills :(

But still, i love this mixer! :) Simplicity at it's best! (keeping in mind price etc :D)

nelly
LinX
yeah im catching on a little bit at a time.. like everyone says on these boards practice practice practice.. but i love killing the low, and mid ranges and boosting the high at the end of a mix then mixing right into another bassline with the low end cranked all the way up makes for a good transition.. (well not always, but you get what im sayin ;) )
beats and beeps
quote:
Originally posted by LinX
so im new to this whole thing i just noticed that my kill switches high, med, low simply bring the ranges from normal level (or where ever it was previoulsy set) straight to zero.. can someone give me pointers as to where this would play into mixing or where one would use them?? it prob sounds dumb im sure but my mixer's got them along with prob everyone out on the market so i was just wondering.

Techno man, techno.

Thats where one would use them.
stefanoc
i love the kill switches on my numark. it just saves you lots of time and concentration to focus on other things. kill switches are very useful and very addictive and unfortunately lots of mixers dont have them. i dont think the pro mixers have them at all (djm600, dns1500)

set the incoming track to the bass level you like and turn the kill switch on. at the right time just drop the kill switch while you work around with the other knobs for perfect flow.
InterMilan31
im guessing but you are using a DMX/DXM whatever from Numark right?

I didnt like them on that but I seem to be the only one who didnt like that mixer:rolleyes:

anyway the professional mixers dont really have kill switches for the eq's so cant really help ya although they are good for techno and can sound right when perfectly matched
ivanbee
man i love kill switches
Ludikruz
well once you get to be an experience dj you will use the kill switches for working trax and not for mixing.

If you have a switch for each eq than you can really work tracks..

moondog
pcv 275 kill switches are ace :D

The knobs only go down to -16db (low and hi) and -12db (mid), so no where near a complete kill
Stu Cox
Personally I'd rather have eq which goes down to -36dB or more, which is a decent cut, as it gives you more control - you can cut it as much or as little as you like.

The DN-X1500 goes down to -40dB which is good, but unfortunately DJM600 and Xone62 both only go down to -26dB on the eq which isn't really enough imo... I know a lot of people say "it's about right for mixing a track in", but I want to be able to literally remove the bassline from a track when it's over the top of a breakdown or something... with a bigger cut you can always just not turn it down as far!

Xone:92 claims to go down to -∞dB and I don't think it's far off, which is nice :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement