return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

how much does changing pitch change key?
View this Thread in Original format
Tegu
just wanted to double check...to what degree does changing the pitch change the key?
Tegu
+3%=+1 semitone
-3%=-1 semitone

yes? :nervous:
Tony Morello
http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...threadid=125634

it's in there somewhere
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by Tegu
+3%=+1 semitone
-3%=-1 semitone

yes? :nervous:

NO!!

+5.946% is up 1 semitone
-5.613% is down 1 semitone

but remember you have to multiply to get the next value, so up 2 semitones is:
1.0595 * 1.0595 = 1.1225 => +12.25%

Of course, in harmonic mixing terms as soon as you pass a difference of about 3% between two tracks, you can consider the track of greater pitch change to be of the next key up (so Cm becomes Dbm)... but I'd try and avoid any mixes involving tracks which end up between 2% and 4% pitch displacements apart as they tend to sound foul, regardless of the keys of the tracks.
sm44
I asked that questino and someone told me that as long as their isnt a difference greater than 5.6% and both records are in the same key they should sound harmonic. Even if one is +3% and the other is +6%. Can someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by sm44
I asked that questino and someone told me that as long as their isnt a difference greater than 5.6% and both records are in the same key they should sound harmonic. Even if one is +3% and the other is +6%. Can someone please correct me if i am wrong.

You are wrong, I'm afraid.

You're right that it is about the difference between the two tracks, but see that +5.9% is (almost) exactly one semitone up, once you have a difference of more than half of that (i.e. 3% pretty much), the tracks are nearer to being a semitone out than they are to being in tune, so they sound out of tune. With a difference of between about 2% and 4%, the tracks are effectively half a semitone out which usually sounds out of tune, regardless of the keys of the tracks.

So if one was at 3% and the other was 5% it'd sound ok, as you get towards 3% and 6% it'll sound slightly out of key (but noticably) and anywhere past that and there's absolutley no hope, unless the tracks are actually originally in keys 1 semitone apart.
Pinokio
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox
NO!!

+5.946% is up 1 semitone

Of course, in harmonic mixing terms as soon as you pass a difference of about 3% between two tracks, you can consider the track of greater pitch change to be of the next key up (so Cm becomes Dbm)... but I'd try and avoid any mixes involving tracks which end up between 2% and 4% pitch displacements apart as they tend to sound foul, regardless of the keys of the tracks.

SO that tune Actually could be Cm and Dbm if I have it at 3 %, it's half their way, so it oculd be one or the other, not exactly but as for math, I could use both I think.
djkoolaide
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox
NO!!

+5.946% is up 1 semitone

I bought that vinyl in your avatar the other day for 33 cents :crazy: mint!
Stu Cox
quote:
Originally posted by Pinokio
SO that tune Actually could be Cm and Dbm if I have it at 3 %, it's half their way, so it oculd be one or the other, not exactly but as for math, I could use both I think.

It tends to be more a case of sounding e with either.
sm44
Thanks for clearing that up.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement