return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Scratch Records
View this Thread in Original format
sm44
I was thinking of trying to scratch in my sets and was wondering if there are any really good scratch tools/records that i should get. I mix house, prog and a bit of trance. Ive heard q-bert - secret of the y formula is good.
One with the classic scratch sounds like the ahhh, and scratchy sound (dont know how to explain and dont have a sample)

I did a search but came up with nothing.
InterMilan31
quote:
Originally posted by sm44
I was thinking of trying to scratch in my sets and was wondering if there are any really good scratch tools/records that i should get. I mix house, prog and a bit of trance. Ive heard q-bert - secret of the y formula is good.
One with the classic scratch sounds like the ahhh, and scratchy sound (dont know how to explain and dont have a sample)

I did a search but came up with nothing.

get battle records

turntablelab.com
hiphopsite.com
sandboxautomatic.com
djcity.com

they should have some for you. They are ideal for scracthing and normally will have one side of effects/phrases to scratch and the other will be beats to strach to or with
DJ_Ikronix
Superseal and Secrets of the Y Formula are skipless, which is absolutely fantastic. :D
sm44
yea, i seen skipless scratch tools, what exactly does it mean? has it got deep grooves or has something to do with looping?
InterMilan31
quote:
yea, i seen skipless scratch tools, what exactly does it mean? has it got deep grooves or has something to do with looping?

loops til you take the needle of it i believe..never ending beat
Cheetah86
quote:

What InterMilan31 mentioned is a locked groove, which means its a loop which is circular on the vinyl instead of spiral shaped, so it doesn't move on the record when you play it, it just plays in a circle. This creates a looping beat which plays forever until you stop it.

Skipless scratch tools are samples which are repeated in a long series of adjacent grooves. If the needle jumps out of the groove and goes into an adjacent one, it will be at the same point in the sample. This can help if your needles don't hold the record very well or you don't want to put a ton of weight on them for some reason.
InterMilan31
quote:
Originally posted by Cheetah86
What InterMilan31 mentioned is a locked groove, which means its a loop which is circular on the vinyl instead of spiral shaped, so it doesn't move on the record when you play it, it just plays in a circle. This creates a looping beat which plays forever until you stop it.

Skipless scratch tools are samples which are repeated in a long series of adjacent grooves. If the needle jumps out of the groove and goes into an adjacent one, it will be at the same point in the sample. This can help if your needles don't hold the record very well or you don't want to put a ton of weight on them for some reason.

ahhhh ok bit confused thanks for the clear up there mate
discobiscuit
that is soo sick ~ records that loop until you pick up the needle... i always wondered how hip hop dj's kept the same beat going forever.. when i get serato scratch, i'll start doing some hip hop stuff probably (i want to be well rounded), but i dont think i'm gonna go buy any records (but who knows)

bisco
djkoolaide
I just bought DJ Relm - Zodyax Scop System Level 1 from DJCity.com, and it's basically the same as Secrets of the Y Formula except cheaper :p
sm44
quote:
Originally posted by djkoolaide
I just bought DJ Relm - Zodyax Scop System Level 1 from DJCity.com, and it's basically the same as Secrets of the Y Formula except cheaper :p

skipless?

djkoolaide
Yeah, each sample plays over and over so if the needle skips it will be in the next groove at the same point in the sample. I like it :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement