return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Magnets & Turntables
View this Thread in Original format
ESMdjm600
Some moron put a magnet under my technic... i didnt see ne thing in the warnings or caution in the technic manual about magnets, ne one think this is gonna be a problem? i tried searching, but it told me a search has to have a minimum of 4 letters, magnet and turntable both have more than 4 letters, so please dont flame me.
alligator
quote:
Originally posted by ESMdjm600
Some moron put a magnet under my technic... i didnt see ne thing in the warnings or caution in the technic manual about magnets, ne one think this is gonna be a problem? i tried searching, but it told me a search has to have a minimum of 4 letters, magnet and turntable both have more than 4 letters, so please dont flame me.

first off: any apparatus that uses electricity will create a magnetic field...physics current passing through a wire will create a mag field...and i won't go in more details.

if someone put a magnet near your turntables i would be worried, to what extent or will there be any damage i can't say of the top of my head. hope your stuff didn't get ruined
ESMdjm600
thanks for the response... what would be the signs that somethings wrong? i dont wanna sound moronic but im not good at beat matching right now cuz i havent been practicing... theres nothing wrong sound wise, im wonderin if i put the pitch locks on 0 and put the same track on, if it stays on id assume im alright....
ZeJayMan
What would the magnet have an effect on, the motor speed?
If you want to see if the platter is turning at the right speed e.g 33.3 times per minute (when set to 33) , look at the platter's rim when the turntable is spinning and pitch is set to zero

(Check Picture)

If everything's fine, these lines of dots (Check Picture) will not appear to be moving when the turntable is spinning, You'll have to look at them by the turntable's light. Notice if you alter the pitch they begin to move. You'll see what I mean when you check for yourself. If they don't seem to be moving when the pitch is at zero, s'all good.

Hope this helps
Ryan0751
Unless the magnet was like the power of an MRI machine, you'll be just fine. Magnets are bad for things like disk drives (well the media, not the drive itself) and CRT's, but don't do much to anything else.

The motor inside your TT's use magnets.
colombian raver
quote:
Originally posted by ESMdjm600

a minimum of 4 letters means the word has to have atleast 4. It didn't say 4 letters maximum :rolleyes:
Ryan0751
He's saying he got the error AFTER trying to search, and pointed out that even though it said "words must be 4 letters or more", they WERE and the search didn't work. It's happened to me before.

So roll those eyes BACK in their forward position :haha:

quote:
Originally posted by colombian raver
a minimum of 4 letters means the word has to have atleast 4. It didn't say 4 letters maximum :rolleyes:
Devil Bunny
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan0751
Unless the magnet was like the power of an MRI machine, you'll be just fine. Magnets are bad for things like disk drives (well the media, not the drive itself) and CRT's, but don't do much to anything else.

The motor inside your TT's use magnets.

Well, for a hard drvie to get erased by a magnet it would have to be sitting inside an mri machine to cause data corruption, in order to loose all the data on the drive the magnet would be able to pull the iron out of your blood stream. I have tested this with one of my HD's by setting 4 neodymium magnets on it for over 2 months, put it back in my comp and all the data is still there uncorrupt. CRT's have a degausing feature in them that allows you to reset the screens charge so if a magnet does get close to it, you wont loose a good monitor. just for your information. it just buggs me when people say that.

I dont think that you have to worry about the magnet damaging your TT b/c its a law that they have to accept possible interference and still operate fine.
Ryan0751
Nope, I know that CRT's aren't "permanently" damaged by magnets. It's still "not a good thing" to do it, though.

And floppies are FAR less resistant to magnets than a HD, but who uses those anymore?

quote:
Originally posted by Devil Bunny
Well, for a hard drvie to get erased by a magnet it would have to be sitting inside an mri machine to cause data corruption, in order to loose all the data on the drive the magnet would be able to pull the iron out of your blood stream. I have tested this with one of my HD's by setting 4 neodymium magnets on it for over 2 months, put it back in my comp and all the data is still there uncorrupt. CRT's have a degausing feature in them that allows you to reset the screens charge so if a magnet does get close to it, you wont loose a good monitor. just for your information. it just buggs me when people say that.

I dont think that you have to worry about the magnet damaging your TT b/c its a law that they have to accept possible interference and still operate fine.
Ryan0751
Did you guys know that if you travel south of the equator, that because the earths magnetic field is reversed, that turtables spin the other direction? All their vinyl has to be pressed "backwards"!

It's just like a toilet!

sr126
quote:
Did you guys know that if you travel south of the equator, that because the earths magnetic field is reversed, that turtables spin the other direction? All their vinyl has to be pressed "backwards"!

It's just like a toilet!

and all my records play backwards, and i can decipher the subliminal messages in them. scary but true! ;p
halfbrick
quote:

It's just like a toilet!

You should put your sarcasm hat on before you say things like that. People around here are prone to beleiving things like that.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement