return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Speedorama @Ontario Exhibition Place
View this Thread in Original format
DJ El Kay Dee
Hey All...Over the wekend i went for the Speedorama Car Show @ The Ontario Exhibition Place in Toronto..

Here are some pics for those who missed out....was unable to get a snap of the Playboy Playmates cos i ran out of batteries in my cam...:(
anyways..:D :D :D :D

Lazgti
I used to go to the Speedorama shows and gave up on the shi++y riced out cars.

To those not in the know "riced out" refers to cheap automobiles modified extensively to look faster than they are. Often describes Japanese cars that have been made to look like pieces of crap that are eyesores and wastes of space an money. You have seen the young gentlement cruising along beside you on the highway in his Honda Civic which is marketed as a fun little economy compact car. Well to that 18 year old beside you he thinks VTEC means the car will go really fast with lots of stickers, a huge spoiler on the trunk (usually bigger than the car), dark tinted windows, white or clear taillights (cos red just won't do), 19 inch rims, cut suspension so that if the car goes over a dime in the road it will be airborn and not to mention the eyesore colors and graphics plastered all over the car. Oh and the exhaust that is the size of a coffee can and adds more noise then power. How these cars developed that 'moniker' I don't know, but these casr totally piss me off.

I am a fan of tuning cars. I have modified my GTI and nothing turns me on like a well tuned machine (upgraded suspension for better handling, slightly wider rims for increased grip, upgraded brakes for safer handling of increased power, modified motors adding more power to make the car more fun) but when its all show and no go its gotta go. Anybody else with me on this subject...

Those cars at the show are just POS all dressed up with nowhere to go. IMO.
DJ El Kay Dee
well i agree with u on that one quiet a bit...i dont have a car right now but will get one in the next month or so...i went for this show to get info on body modifications cos i intend on modifying whichever car i get, in my own design...a few technical changes i plan on are ECS for better traction on various roads, increasing the axle length for safer turns at high speeds and wider rims....there are other features on the A/V side i plan on which are meant for my own enjoyment but im refraining from gettin a japanese car cos there are way too many "souped up" civics, preludes, integras etc on the road..i want something different...got any ideas???no not a Golf...those too are common....no offense:D :D :D :D
Evil Teef
those cars are sooo sick!!!!!!!
Lazgti
quote:
Originally posted by DJ El Kay Dee
well i agree with u on that one quiet a bit...i dont have a car right now but will get one in the next month or so...i went for this show to get info on body modifications cos i intend on modifying whichever car i get, in my own design...a few technical changes i plan on are ECS for better traction on various roads, increasing the axle length for safer turns at high speeds and wider rims....there are other features on the A/V side i plan on which are meant for my own enjoyment but im refraining from gettin a japanese car cos there are way too many "souped up" civics, preludes, integras etc on the road..i want something different...got any ideas???no not a Golf...those too are common....no offense:D :D :D :D

You are right they have grown in popularity way too much lately. Mine is a 1992 and when I bought it in 1996, I was driving one of the rarest machines around. VW was not too popular back then and especially the GTIs were not really out there. Especially not at my age. But with the introduction of the newer body styles I guess it appealed more to the mainstream market since it became more and more a car that my dad would enjoy. I too would be hard pressed to buy a new Golf. I just think VW has added way too many pounds, too soft a suspension and increased the price out of line with the original concept. The GTI used to be a no frills practical performance car. Even though it used the same engine as the regular Golfs it had a modified exhaust to allow it to breath heavier and give the car a more performance oriented feel, not to mention the gearing. My GTI pulls almost as hard as the newer 1.8Ts with a good 50 less HP. Pretty good if you ask me.

But you are in the market eh? New or used.

If you are looking for new you got some options:

Honda Civic SiR - I know, I am not a fan of Civics either but this one will be a hairy machine. It is the rage in Europe right now because prototypes tested etc. have shown that this will indeed be very high in the performance scale, surpassing any Civic ever made and the build quality is impeccable from what I hear. It totally feels different from any other Civic made. It is released in Toronto I think next month...I think it spriced base at $24Gs

Mazda Protege 5 - cool car. Lots of fun I hear, good looking, really sporty interior, lots of practicality with a hatch and 4 doors. Not too common.

Nissan SE-R V Spec - All I can say is that Nissan does not make empty promises when it comes to performance and giving a driver a rush. If I was in the market for something in this price range, I would check this ride out. It will be mad quick and mad sticky to the road. Pretty reliable too.

Toyota Matrix - cool car...the top of the line is going to be a bit pricey but it will share all the components of the Celica GTS (180HP engine, brakes, suspension components)...pretty serious car. Out next month...

I am hoping my GTI can go another year without too much trouble. Then I can flip it and buy myself something alittle more serious...maybe a TT or the Nissan 350Z if its reasonably priced (probably wont be...I think it will be above 50Gs...too much for me)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement