return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Whitelabel vs. Nightclub
View this Thread in Original format
dj christian
It's time to get some new cartridges and it's between these two the Shure Whitelabel and the Ortofon Nightclub. The most important things are soundquality and durability of the needles, which should i choose?
Thanks!
Basstard
soundquality on the whitelabels is second to none but their durability leaves a lot of room for improvement. mine barely lasted 3 weeks
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
quote:
Originally posted by Basstard
soundquality on the whitelabels is second to none but their durability leaves a lot of room for improvement. mine barely lasted 3 weeks

I don't know what u did to ruin carts in 3 weeks, but mine have lasted a really long time, and of course virtually no record wear with only 1.5-2g of weight. Whitelabels over Nightclubs I recommend, due to less wear on your vinyl. Sound quality on both are excellent, but the wear issue makes the whitelabels the better choice.
Orbital32
+1 i'm pretty sure you did something reallyyy really really wrong.
Basstard
honestly didnt guys

they were set at the correct weight and height with 0 antiskate. i do not scratch at all and never back cue heavily. second night i brought them out to DJ it was playing a record, then it just started skipping and before you know it the stylus is pointing at a ed up angle
DJ Intrigue
If you would have asked this question a few months ago, I would have said the Whitelabels, but now, I have to recommend the Nightclubs instead.

The Whitelabels are decent and their sound quality is damn good too, but I personally cannot stand the fact that the stereo balance on these carts (at least on the two I bought) are not centered during playback, which I think is due to faulty wiring in the unit itself and replacing the stylii does not fix this problem. That to me is extremely unacceptable and pretty much breaks the deal simply because of the money you are paying out, not to mention the audio SHOULD be panned dead center since they are indeed high quality professional needles. I remember making a thread on this same topic a while back, and other people on here had the same problems with their Whitelabels if I remember right. Aside from that, the record wear is very minimal and the sound is right up there, however the highs do seem a bit too tinny at times.

I just bought the Nightclubs about a month ago since the stylii for my Whitelabels were getting pretty crapped up, and I must say that they are more than worth the money. I don't know why I didn't get these over the Whitelabels to start with, but the audio balance IS dead centered (thank you Ortofon!), and I also think the sound quality is a tad better as well. The Nightclubs have more of a richer and refined sound, which appeals to me better than the more raw feel the Whitelabels seemingly have. As far as the imfamous Nightclub record wear everyone talks about, I can't say I notice anything too extreme yet. I have my tracking weight on 3 (the Whitelabels were at 2) with my tonearm height at 0, which I'm fine with at this point and neither cart has been problematic with skipping, however I think I do like the tracking ability of the Nightclubs a little better though.

Overall, both needles are top notch and will get the job done for any dj who uses either of them, but it mostly comes down to personal preference. Having used both, I'm now sold more on the Nightclubs, especially with the balance problems the Whitelabels seem to have, and IMO, the Nightclubs also seem to be more aesthetically built and less fragile than the Shure's even though they are more expensive.

Hopefully that helps you out a little.
richg101
whitelabels look gimmicy and over the top imo. a bit like the concord imitations by numark etc

they aint been round long enough to really be trusted imo. the concords have been an industry standard for years.

the concords look sleeker and more professional.

id go for concords. i have blue concord dj carts and they rock. and nightclubs are meant to be better spec wise..
dj christian
Thanks guys especially DJ Intrigue;) for that indepth view.
I will go for the Ortofon.
DJ ICE777
DJ Intrigue, very interesting what you said about the balance.
i also own the Whitelabels currently and i have also notised the balance thing. first i didn't know what caused it, didn't know if it was some malfuntion with my headphones (Sen. HD 280) or if it was some kind of balance knob on my mixer (Numark DXM09) that i overlooked.

well, reading your post now, i reckon that its the Whitelabels.

sounds like the right cup is spitting out the highs and lows and the left is keyed on the mids. kinda sucks because when i mix, i have the left cup on and listen out with my right ear. Mixing seems harder when you only have the mids on the incoming tune (esp. in club env. with higher vol.)

i guess i have to learn to mix with listening out with my left ear:p

pretty sure my next cartriges are going to be ortofon.

now it's just the question which one:toothless (i know, the're a bunch of treads about that)
Liam
quote:
Originally posted by DJ ICE777
DJ Intrigue, very interesting what you said about the balance.
i also own the Whitelabels currently and i have also notised the balance thing. first i didn't know what caused it, didn't know if it was some malfuntion with my headphones (Sen. HD 280) or if it was some kind of balance knob on my mixer (Numark DXM09) that i overlooked.

well, reading your post now, i reckon that its the Whitelabels.

sounds like the right cup is spitting out the highs and lows and the left is keyed on the mids. kinda sucks because when i mix, i have the left cup on and listen out with my right ear. Mixing seems harder when you only have the mids on the incoming tune (esp. in club env. with higher vol.)

i guess i have to learn to mix with listening out with my left ear:p

pretty sure my next cartriges are going to be ortofon.

now it's just the question which one:toothless (i know, the're a bunch of treads about that)

my whitelabels were unbalanced as well, and it drove me crazy. i picked up some ortofon elektro concordes and have been very happy ever since. i'd say the whitelabels track a bit better, but the quality, and balance on the ortofons is exceptional. another thing to note... i've found i need around 1 or 1.5 g additional weight on my elektros.

Psiweaver
i wish the whitelabels had the balance issue fixed.
DJ Intrigue
quote:
Originally posted by Psiweaver
i wish the whitelabels had the balance issue fixed.

Isn't there a guy who posts on here every now and then that is a representative from Shure? I thought I read a few threads a while back in which he posted and gave some insight about a couple of questions other users had about Shure products. I think he also had his contact info from Shure listed as well. Anyway, it would be very interesting to hear what he has to say about this problem, because it really is a shame since they are not all that terrible of a dj needle and also since the balance issue appears to be universal with many people. I wonder if he still reads in the DJ Booth at all?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement