return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Main Forums > Chill Out Room

Pages: [1] 2 
Amendment XXII Alteration = Bush 3rd Term???
View this Thread in Original format
Yan
quote:
Bush preps historic Third Term - memo
It's war. It's a 'Continuity Presidency'

Exclusive The US Department of Justice (DoJ) and the office of the White House Counsel are preparing a draft document laying out the President's wartime authority to remain in office past 2008, The Register has learned.

The scheme is described as an emergency "continuity presidency," made necessary by the extraordinary circumstances and unique challenges of protecting the United States from the threat of international terrorism.

"The world changed on 9/11," a confidential DoJ memo obtained by The Register explains, "and no Administration is US history is better suited to adapt productively to those changes than this one.

"The Attorney General supports the basic framework in the White House Counsel's draft proposal for a future Executive Order establishing a Continuity Presidency, with two provisos: 1. There must be at least the appearance of a time limit, which the AG believes might be satisfied by tying the duration of the Continuity Presidency to the duration of the GWOT [global war on terrorism]; and 2. The House and Senate Majority Leaders and the Chairpersons of the House and Senate Judiciary Committees must issue a written certification that they have approved the plan.

"AG does not believe that the plan will succeed unless those conditions can be met. Suggest you liase with [the White House office of] Legislative Affairs and get their sense of the liklihood that the key Members will work with us."

The memo is signed Christine McIntyre, Special Assistant to the United States Attorney General, and is addressed to Philip Van Zandt, Special Assistant to White House Counsel Harriet Miers.

A second memo leaked to The Register, this time from DoJ Assistant McIntyre to Jock Mahoney, Special Assistant to US Solicitor General Paul Clement, and to Philip Van Zandt at the White House, anticipates an immediate Supreme Court challenge to the scheme, and offers a few suggestions for defending the Administration's action.

"We will be attacked on the basis of Article II Section 1, and on Amendment XXII," McIntyre writes. "Thus it is absolutely crucial that the anticipated Executive Order for a Continuity Presidency make no mention whatsoever of a 'Third Term.' This will eliminate appeals to Amendment XXII, and leave us free to focus our attack on Article II Section 1 alone. Thus, the Executive Order has got to be framed as a necessary - and Congressionally authorized - extension of the President's Second Term, so that we can base our arguments on the Joint Resolution and Article II Section 2.

"Above all," McIntyre warns, "we must emphasize that the 2001 Joint Resolution, in which Congress empowered the President to 'use all necessary and appropriate force ... to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States,' and Article II Section 2 of the United States Constitution, give the President ample authority to issue an Executive Order for a Continuity Presidency for the duration of the GWOT, to exercise fully his mandate to protect the American people from harm.

"We must also press the national security angle hard and emphasize that the United States would be endangered severely by a change of government at this time. America cannot afford to give the terrorists such an opportunity."

Now, this might not seem like much for the Bushies to pin their imperial hopes on, but the White House has already succeeded in expanding the 2001 Joint Resolution, and Article II Section 2 of the Constitution, to include virtually any step, legal and illegal, that the Administration wishes to take in prosecuting the war on terror.

For a recent example we might recall repeated White House and DoJ assertions that the Joint Resolution and Article II Section 2 authorize the President to eavesdrop on US citizens in clear violation of federal law. And neither Congress nor the Supremes have shown any inclination to rein him in.

So, as sketchy as the justification is, if the Congressional leadership and the US Supreme Court should capitulate to Bush, as they have tended to do in the past, it seems possible that he might remain in the White House past the expiration of his second term, as he obviously intends.

The Register contacted the offices of the US Attorney General and the White House Counsel, and both declined to comment. Neither denied the memos, however.

Are they a hoax? We consulted renowned constitutional scholar Bud Jamison, of the prestigious Washington legal firm Horowitz Feinberg & Horowitz, for insight.

"I don't think they're a hoax, but I also don't think that there's anything here for the public to worry about, except the sad comment it makes on the current Administration," Jamison told The Register.

"I think we can assume - even for the sake of argument alone - that there is a draft proposal along these lines circulating. Obviously, we can only speculate about the full content and wording of the proposal, but based on the comments in these memos, I think we can do that fairly productively," Jamison said.

"First, the fact that this proposal is in the works so far in advance of the 2008 elections suggests that real care is being taken, which in turn suggests that President Bush is, for the moment, anyway, quite serious about attempting this coup d'état.

"If it ever becomes public, I suspect we'll find that the proposed executive order will postpone the 2008 elections - citing the exigencies of war - rather than attempt to do battle with Article II Section 1 and the 22nd Amendment," Jamison explained.

More at the source.

WTF? That's messed up.
::TranceVanDyk::
i find it not crediable as the host is a domain in the UK. if it happened in the USA, why is it on a british website first??

quote:
A second memo leaked to The Register, this time from DoJ Assistant McIntyre to Jock Mahoney, Special Assistant to US Solicitor General Paul Clement, and to Philip Van Zandt at the White House, anticipates an immediate Supreme Court challenge to the scheme, and offers a few suggestions for defending the Administration's action.

seems like "The Register" is pretty in the know, within the government. or they are just BSing. never heard of "the register", and who in their right mind would publish a story on a indescriminate website such as this one. no, you go to a newspaper like the washington post or new york times where youll definatly get noticed by millions more.
Yan
quote:
Originally posted by ::TranceVanDyk::
seems like "The Register" is pretty in the know, within the government. or they are just BSing. never heard of "the register", and who in their right mind would publish a story on a indescriminate website such as this one. no, you go to a newspaper like the washington post or new york times where youll definatly get noticed by millions more.

They're actually quite credible. Go through their archives and you'll see that they report on just about everything in the world.
RapidFire
if this actually happens I smell a dictatorship and a third world war.
Caela
NO. if the vietnam war continued through changing presidents, this should too.

srsly this...maybe if they attempted to pass this, it would be the swift kick in the ass americans need to (finally) realize that SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE.

quote:
Originally posted by RapidFire
if this actually happens I smell a dictatorship and a third world war.

things are already well on their way there.
infinity HiGH
errr, april fools? :rolleyes:
SPACEMASTERS
quote:
Originally posted by Caela

things are already well on their way there.

Yea things are looking bad in Iran. We still havent resolved anything in Iraq. Also Isreal and Palestine is going to start to become an issue again
::TranceVanDyk::
if this is an april fools, Thomas C Greene needs a life.

JENNA JAMISON IS QUOTED!!!
Caela
april fools or not, it wouldn't surprise me.

arnie's trying to amend the constitution so he can be president for christs' sake!
infinity HiGH
quote:
Originally posted by Caela
april fools or not, it wouldn't surprise me.

arnie's trying to amend the constitution so he can be president for christs' sake!

haha, the terminator as president...that'd be great

Marc Summers
Clinton has also been trying to get the 2-term limit out of the constitution, FYI.
BTG
anybody notice the onslaught of wacky news today? i can't quite put my finger on it, but there's somthing about today that seems folly....
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement