return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Connecting everything...HeLp!
View this Thread in Original format
Pasta
This is my first time hooking up a complete set up and quite frankly I'm a beginner when it comes to audio cables and what not. Below is everything I have, please let me know exactly what I need as far as cables since plugging it is pretty straight forward.

I have:
2 CDJ800's, an Allen & Heath Xone:32 and a Logitech z5500 which is already connected to my laptop through a Creative Audigy Notebook Adapter.

Now, the rear of the Logitech system is like so: FRONT - REAR - CENTER ..then.. DIGITAL COAX - DIGITAL OPTICAL.
The first 3 are being used by my laptop.

So what's the easiest way of setting this up? And what cables will I need? I want to be able to switch easily on my control unit to be able to just use my laptop for everyday use, and then switch when mixing so I can still hear out of surround...is it possible?
Mav 3000
Plug the CDJ800s into the Line inputs of your mixer, one on Channel 1, the other on Channel 2. Plug the 'Master Out' of the mixer into the input of your Logitech's. If the only input of the Logitech's is being used by your PC, you may have to swap the inputs to the speakers from laptop to mixer each time you want to mix. Ideally, you really need an AMP with multiple inputs between your mixer/laptop and your speakers as this will allow multiple inputs, routing whcihever you choose to the speakers.

Alternatively, plug the output of the laptop into the Line In on Channel 3 of your mixer and route the PC sound through the maixer to the speakers. This will mean keeping your mixer on when using the laptop.

Alternatively, use headphones on the laptop and logitechs with the mixer exclusively.

Hope this gives you some ideas and is roughly accurate for your situation!
Pasta
quote:
Originally posted by Mav 3000
Plug the CDJ800s into the Line inputs of your mixer, one on Channel 1, the other on Channel 2. Plug the 'Master Out' of the mixer into the input of your Logitech's. If the only input of the Logitech's is being used by your PC, you may have to swap the inputs to the speakers from laptop to mixer each time you want to mix. Ideally, you really need an AMP with multiple inputs between your mixer/laptop and your speakers as this will allow multiple inputs, routing whcihever you choose to the speakers.

Looks like I just need to get TRS cables...1 size that fits the mixer out and then converts to a smaller size to fit the Logitech Control Unit.

quote:
Originally posted by Mav 3000 Alternatively, plug the output of the laptop into the Line In on Channel 3 of your mixer and route the PC sound through the maixer to the speakers. This will mean keeping your mixer on when using the laptop.

Is it possible to just use the laptop as a 3rd output of music but without leaving the mixer on constantly? I wouldn't want to have it running all the time.
Low Profile
Ah, I love it when people are ignorant, they buy gear that's worth well over 2 grand $$ and they don't even know how to connect it... makes me laugh every time :D :p

Sorry, I don't wanna be bashing you, just think it's funny... and the guys before me explained it pretty good. I hope you'll be able to connect everything, send a pic when it's all done :)
Mav 3000
The CDJs will plug into the mixer using Phono Cables - or RCA cables. these are White and Red, for left and right Stereo respectively. You need these the right way around to get the stereo right :) Remember, Red for Right.

The Mixer will plug into the Speakers controll unit OR the laptop most likely via a 3.5mm stereo jack plug. this will be like a headphone socked at one end (for the line in on the speakers or laptop) and RCA Phono (Red and white Two Plugs) at the other end (the mixer end).

I'd only set your laptop up as an output when you want to record your mixes - as the speakers on the laptop will be awful.

For a proper setup, plug the mixers into an Amp or Hi-Fi, totally deperate from the Laptop, and use the Logitech stuff to make your MP3s sound good.

Once its hooked up, you'll just have the small job of learning how to beat mix to contend with, EQing and then recording mixes ;)

Good luck!!
Pasta
quote:
Originally posted by Low Profile
Ah, I love it when people are ignorant, they buy gear that's worth well over 2 grand $$ and they don't even know how to connect it... makes me laugh every time :D :p

Sorry, I don't wanna be bashing you, just think it's funny... and the guys before me explained it pretty good. I hope you'll be able to connect everything, send a pic when it's all done :)

I know how to connect it, I was mainly asking for what type of cables it required besides RCA.

Mav 3000, I think I got it. I just need to find the cables to fit the mixer and convert to the size of the Logitech system. That's my only problem.
I hooked it up last night, obviously only being able to hear through my headphones, but it's all working well so far.
Mav 3000
Connections usually take standard sizes, the only unknown is the logitech's input.

RCA's are Red and White win connectors,

Headphones in the mixer will be 5mm Stereo Jack Plugs

I'm guessing that the Logitech will take RCA > 3.5mm Jack Input. If there are three inputs on the back of it - Left, Centre and Right, It may be a case of trying and re-trying until it sounds right.
Pasta
I just can't seem to find the right cable for this.

I need 2 stereo jacks (L and R) to either plug into the FRONT REAR CENTER (mini plugs) or the DIGITAL (RCA) spots on the Logitech.
There doesn't seem to be a cable such as this, with 2 stereo jacks and 3 mini plugs or 2 RCA's on the other end.
Pasta
Ahhhhhhh! After hours of playing with different conversions to fit this Logitech system, it is finally working in full force! :eyes:
It would of been so easy without the Logitech, but it's all good. :)

Thanks for your help Mav! Pictures will be up in the "Post youe bedroom DJ setup...." thread soon.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement