return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

mixer vs moblie
View this Thread in Original format
Fearless One
whenever i spin using my ty mixer (basic numark) and someone is calling to me (or just send me a text message) my mobile causes terrible noises and distortions in sound... i'm not expert, but i think it's because of some kind of electro-magnetic radiation, or something linke that... anyway, my question is... does it happen to all mixers (even all those hi-end xones, pioneers, etc...) or just those ty ones? is there any solution to prevent it, or the only way to solve is to switch mobile off?
WeasiL
yeah i have heard that certain phones can cause strange interference with other electronic devices. try a friends phone by the mixer and see if the same problem occurs.
blacknoizybox
you've been spied! the interference is coming from a CIA chip located in your brain :)
kidding :)
tvmann
When someone calls your cell or you start using it, it starts sending radio waves back to the cell tower system and these have a bit of power & can get into some equipment. In my case it's the alarm clock, and the the keyboard on my Dell desktop computer which somehow sends noises to the sound card! Only solution is to keep the cellphone a distance away from the gear or turn it off. I kinda like it sometimes because I hear wierd noises a couple of seconds before the phone actually rings.

Sometimes the noises will happen when no call is happening, because the cell system will "poll" the phone occasionally (several times a day) to see if it's still operating.
dj_kane
it happens with all electric appliances
x_moe
quote:
Originally posted by Fearless One
whenever i spin using my ty mixer (basic numark) and someone is calling to me (or just send me a text message) my mobile causes terrible noises and distortions in sound... i'm not expert, but i think it's because of some kind of electro-magnetic radiation, or something linke that... anyway, my question is... does it happen to all mixers (even all those hi-end xones, pioneers, etc...) or just those ty ones? is there any solution to prevent it, or the only way to solve is to switch mobile off?

there is no way to solve this problem, just keep your phone far from your setup when your recording, this happens with everything. if you put your phone on top of a tv, speaker, and even sometimes when you have it anywhere in the car and ur radio is on, it will make the noises when someone calls.
Fearless One
just a thought... if i were spinin in club and there would be dozens of people with mobiles around, let's say someone near the booth, someone else just next to speakers... it might be a disaster, though i can't remember to hear this kind of in club... maybe i wasn't often enough to hear it or there are some mixers which are not affected be that?
manbagrevolutio
if more people had MANBAG, this would not be an issue.
DJ 00 Tommy
It happens to the amp not the speakers.
You can have a phone next to speakers and nothing will happen next to the amp and you may get a problem.
A good amp may have better shielding or whatever making it less vanurable to mobile interfearance.
My old amp got it (was an old hi-fi amp) my new power amp doesnt any mobile interfearance atall even if i put the mobile right ontop of it or touching it.

Sorry if my post is wierd... i feel wierd tonight, pretty stuffed actually.
Cheetah86
It's more likely to affect it if it's near the signal cables going into the mixer, sometimes into your amplifier. When the noise/interference from the phone affects those signals, the noise gets amplified because the mixer amplifies it a little and then it gets sent with the amplified noise to the actual amplifier. Same thing with the mixer signal going into the amplifier. If the phone is near the speaker cable going into the speakers, it shouldn't be too much of a problem because that signal isn't getting amplified again, and the noise shouldn't be enough to affect a large speaker driver. This doesn't apply in the case of active speakers, though, since the amplifier is in the speaker.

It basically all depends on where in the equipment chain the cell phone is near.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement